[bfsa] Holiday Greetings and Happy New Year

Victor Wan-Tatah vfwantatah at ysu.edu
Wed Dec 27 11:38:31 EST 2006

Fellow BFSA Members:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you holiday cheers
and a happy New Year. I would also like to thank all of you for your
involvement in the organisation, especially in the onerous task of
putting together a Taskforce Report on Diversity on our campus. The
final document was supposed to be ready this fall, partly due to my
fault and because one of the committees delayed in  forwarding their
committee report to me.When I did finally receive it, it was too late to
compile the final report close to exam week,, preparations for Jabali on
December 7, and the publication of the Africana Studies Newsletter, The
Ogele, which by coincidence contains considerable coverage on BFSA. You
are encouraged to get a copy from the Africana Studies Program or
Editor-in-Chief,Lae'l Hughes-Watkins.
The final report will be presented to the Executive Council at the
begining of the spring semester, and later on brought to the general
assembly. By the end of January, we should be able to circulate copies
to the relevant authorities.

I am looking forward to the spring semester with excitement because of
new opportunities for the visibility of BFSA. One of them will involve a
conference on Black Political Leadership in the Mahoning Valley. This
actually is a follow-up of a lecture and promise which  was made by then
candidate for mayor of Youngstown, Jay Williams last year. The
difference this year would be that the format and scope would bring
together other Black religious, community and political leaders. I
deliberately excluded this event from African American History Month
programming to give BFSA exclusive control and maximum exposure.

Finally, I requested permission from the Interim Director of Human
Resources, Ron Chordas , to give our members permission to attend the
Martin Luther King Breakfast coming up when school reopens in January.
He asked  me to forward a list of of our members, which I did, thanks to
our Vice President Brenda Scarborough for her updated list.Ron seemed to
understood the need for such an official approval, and  I expect him to
make it easy for our members to attend.

Thank you again for your active participation in BFSA, and I hope and
wish that those of you who have not be as involved before, can make room
in their schedule to be active members of BFSA.
Happy New, and see you soon.
Victor Wan-Tatah
President