[bfsa] FYI: Career Technical Education

Brenda Scarborough bmscarborough at ysu.edu
Mon Mar 23 12:30:05 EDT 2009

 Given the important role Career Technical Education (CTE) programs
play in supporting our local economy and in providing valuable services
to students at the secondary level, I hope that you will work to
support a strong level of equal funding across Ohio. Ohio’s career
technical education is a model for the nation and has excellent outcome
data that can be shared. Career Technical Education is one of Ohio’s
best kept secrets!

The State's biennial budget reforms the way education is funded. Under
this model, career technical education at comprehensive schools
districts and compacts and especailly urban school districts such as
Youngstown City Schools, Toledo, Akron, etc., is CRITICAL hurt! The
weighted (extra) funding that CTE in these districts and compacts
normally receive is NOT included in House Bill 1. Also, the staffing
model ratio creted in the bill cuts the number of career technical
teachers by over 50-75%. Joint Vocational Schools (county and area-wide
acreer tech centers) retian their weighted funding and are suvject to a
funding study commiteee over the next two years. This will affect our
CollegeTech Prep programs and population locally.

Please download the letters to each representative. You can copy and
paste them from word and email them to each representative or you can
print them and mail them to each representative. Please change the date
at the top of the page to match the day that you are sending the letter.

Phone calls are also encouraged. Thank you for supporting Career and
Technical Education in the State of Ohio.

Please forward to friends, family and colleagues.

Thank you!

NOTE: Letters posted as links on BFSA Group Page.

Brenda Scarborough, LMTA II
Maag Library/Information Services
Youngstown State University
One University Plaza