[URBANTH-L]AAA and the strike

Wendy Ann Hathaway wendy.hathaway at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 00:37:22 EDT 2004

I am a graduate student, with no stock options, savings, health care,
or a reliable car.   I also actively support unions, such as the GAU
here at the University of South Florida, and others with my sparse
income--not just striking workers on the other side of the continent.
 I do not separate my religious, political, or volunteer activities
from my anthropological activities.  I do not believe that is
something that anthropologists should do.  As far as I am concerned, I
pay dues to the AAA not just for "career advancement" but for
representation as an anthropologist.

As an invested graduate student sincerely dedicated to the field and
practice of anthropology, I will not attend meetings in San Francisco
at the Hilton
to forward my career over someone else's quality of life.  And for the
record, I am scheduled to present.

In solidarity with those who struggle,

Wendy Hathaway
Tampa Neighborhood Mobility Study