[URBANTH-L]AAA and the strike

Cathy Stanton cstanton at tiac.net
Fri Oct 22 12:09:09 EDT 2004

I'm also a part-time adjunct lecturer who pays for her own health insurance
(my husband and I pay about $500 month for pretty crummy coverage).
However, rather than saying, "Oh, those hotel workers don't know when
they're well off," I feel it's crucial to support labor efforts like this,
because it's one of our best hopes for eventually forcing some kind of
positive change in this rotten health care system.  The union involved in
this lockout has made the point that if they fail, it's not as though
things are going to get any better anywhere else for other workers, union
or non-union.  Rather, if they fail, it will only be one more episode in
the downward spiral - the famed "race to the bottom."  If they hold firm,
it may be the kind of rallying-point that we need if we're ever going to
take a real stance on health care reform.  This is an issue that's central
to many service-union organizing efforts these days, TAs and university
service workers included.  Divorcing ourselves from this issue in any way
just contributes to the bigger problem, and although I stand to lose money
I can't afford on my plane ticket etc., I support the union in holding
AAA's feet to the fire in this way.

Cathy Stanton
Tufts University

<urbanth-l at lists.ysu.edu>; <robrien at temple.edu>; <usf-ant at lists.cas.usf.edu>

-------------------------------
> You are SO on target here!
>
> - sascha
>

> Below is an extremely sympathetic article detailing the plight of the
> Hotel union workers (deleted)
>
> If I may, I'd like to point out that they make the same HOURLY (if not a
> little more) wage as my husband, who is also an immigrant, and who works
> time and a half for a trucking firm to support us.
>
> They have the same YEARLY income as I reported last year as an adjunct.
In
> addition, they have BENEFITS through their job, which I do not.
>
> I acquired benefits through my husband's (non union) job and we pay
> $340.00 per month for the privilege, which by the way, people have told
us
> is a bargain. They are afraid of a hike to $270.00 per month IN FIVE
YEARS.

> [...]
their'strike
> breaking' suppliers like Aramark. To not do so would be to profit off the
> loss of those of us with unrecoverable travel expenses and the payoff to
the
> Hilton that would ensue.
>
> I would also hope that these folks would make sure never to fly American
>
> Airlines, not to accept speaking engagements at Yale, or transact
> business with any number of other egregiously bad practitioners of labor
> relations.
>
> My buck fifty sez - the AAA is a professional organization that I pay
> dues to in order to advance my career. They are not my choice of moral or
> political arbiter. For that I have a religious community, poltical
> affiliation, and volunteer associations.
>
> S.

> Dear Susan:
>
> I find your points well taken.
>
> The AAA has not yet announced a decision, as far as I know.  But at the
> risk of annoying some people, I am astonished that anyone would
> recommend canceling the meetings under these circumstances.  To do so
> would likely bankrupt the AAA (loss of jobs in DC, maybe), add to the
> income of Hilton, and not benefit the strikers in any meaningful manner.
>
> Indeed, I wonder whether members of the AAA Board who would vote to
> incur serious economic loss in support of one side in a dispute in which
> the AAA is not a party, might be in breach of their fiduciary duty to
> the organization.
>
> It is clear enough that individuals may choose to come or not come; to
> cross picket lines or not, etc.  Doing so would not impose costs on
> others (it looks like Susan and others in her position would be
> "collateral damage" in the event of a cancellation), nor on the AAA as
> an organization.
>
> Regards to all,
>
> Bob

> Rob and SUNTA colleagues,
> AAA Exec Board is meeting this morning (Thursday) to consider the results
of
> their survey and how to proceed (or not) in relation to the AAA 2004
> conference and the labor/management dispute at the SF Hilton.  AAA Exec
> Board only started to ask AAA "members" for their opinions on what to do
> about Tuesday, and at first only asked registrants for their opinions
> leading to completion of the Exec Board survey.  I hadn't registered yet,
am
> a NAPA Board member, and a 30 year plus member of AAA so was just a bit
> upset over the Exec Board ONLY contacting registrants on a matter of
> importance to all AAA (especially given cost implications).  So I am
> responsible for working with the Section leaders that I personally know to
> get all NAPA, SUNTA, and (indirectly -- through a SCAAN colleague) Society
> for Latin American Anthropology members of AAA, as well as SCAAN members
> informed of the survey and provided background as I could yesterday.
Since
> [...]
your
> career.  I find it tough to figure that in all cases what happens in and
> with a professional organization can be completely divorced from moral or
> political positions -- sometimes it can be, sometimes not.  I'm not sure
> your point 2 complaint logically holds if you decide to stick with your
> point 1, since opposing the UC TA strike would have been a political
> position (just as much as you might be suggesting that not supporting it
> was?).  Were you involved with the UC TA strike in some way?  Just
curious.

> Regarding 3 -- yup, you are right, I should review whether my stock
> portfolio has any Hilton stock.  Note, however, that some principled
> activists do not automatically divest themselves of stock in a company
with
> which they disagree, but rather go to the stock meetings and try to raise
> points for change.  It's an alternate strategy and there is disagreement
on
> which approach is best.  So point accepted.
>
> Regarding 4 -- especially good point.  I suspect that we should ask the
> union picketing the SF Hilton what they think about us going to non-union
> hotels, if that decision is made.  I don't know -- might the union think
> that if we went to non-union hotels that this might make a point to the
> workers at those hotels that union organizing is supported by
professionals?
> That might make the non-union hotel workers more interested in organizing
> when approached later by the union?  I'm not sure.  Since I frequently do
> not stay at conference hotels anyway, I should become more conscious of
> whether those hotels are unionized or not and how my potential stay there
> might affect that.  I do know that if a hotel was not yet unionized, but
> being picketed because workers were trying to create a union local there
and
> were being blocked, I would not stay at that hotel.
>
> Best Regards,
> Steve Maack

> Fingers...tired....too much....discourse...:-)
>
> Just kidding.
>
> Good answers/questions. I can say that my points were distilled from a
long
> day of discussion on the SAE list. I basically feel that moral decisions
are
> to be made by individuals and not for them by institutions. Many people I
> have spoken to have no idea this was going on. Some will not cross
pickets
> lines, others will. But to have the choice taken away? Not good.
>
> "Was AAA asked to support the UC TA strike?"
>
> Dunno -- were they asked to support this one? But I am not just referring
> the UC Strike (and yes, I was involved and struck and yes I am a union
> member and yes, I will have a hard time deciding what to do IF they are
> still locked out come 11/17) but to all TA/Lecturer/Part-timer strikes.
See