[URBANTH-L]ANN: INTBAU (Ecotourism)

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Sun May 1 17:02:09 EDT 2005

From: Matthew Hardy  <Matthew.Hardy at Princes-Foundation.org>

Mumbai Mills Design Workshop

The Mumbai Mills Design Workshop has just ended.  Participants from
India and abroad analysed the vacant mills of Mumbai/Bombay and produced
a masterplan with proposals for future developments. This event is the
first one under the responsibility of the newly founded International
Network for Traditional Building, Architecture & Urbanism (INTBAU India)
and seems to have been a success, according to the reports sent from India.

The Indian media paid a significant interest in Mumbai Mills Design
Workshop, some of our colleagues from London were interviewed by the
national television. We don't have any footage _ but we happily give you
some links, where you can find some of the coverage.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/03/10/stories/2005031002720200.htm

http://www.indiaexpress.com/news/regional/maharashtra/bombay/20050306-0.html

http://mid-day.com/news/city/2005/march/105048.htm

http://147.208.132.198/news/181_1268413,000600010004.htm

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/WorldNF.asp?ArticleID=154834

Conferences and summer schools

This year the International Network for Traditional Building, Architecture & Urbanism has 3 summer programmes:

- "Forgotten Modern" conference
Stockholm, 12-14 September 2005

A conference on the "Swedish Grace" style of the early 20th century, and its influence to be held at the Architecture Museum in Stockholm on 12-14 September 2005.  Delegates will be invited from around the world.  Please visit our website for more details http://www.intbau.org/forgottenmodern

- Morciano Summer School "The Architecture of Viticulture"
Italy, 18 June - 2 July 2005

The aim of the summer programme is to introduce architecture students and professionals to the issues of rural landscape and urban design, and to expose them to the rich architectural and cultural heritage of Emilia-Romagna regional context.  We hope to have some studentships available for this event (and will let you know if we do).  To see the programme and other details please visit http://www.intbau.org/Morciano

- Tuscan Summer School
Capitignano, Italy, 18 July - 9 August 2005

The aim of the summer program is to introduce art and architecture students, and professionals, to the larger mission of the School of Architecture at the University of Notre Dame, and to expose them to the rich architectural heritage of Florence and Tuscany.  See http://www.intbau.org/Tuscan

There are more events coming soon, including a major conference in London, "Tradition and Modernity in Urban Form".  A call for papers will be issued very soon.  We should have more details on this on our website shortly.

INTBAU Romania

As mentioned in one of the previous newsletters, INTBAU has chapters in India, Germany and Scandinavia.  Soon we are going to have a branch in Romania with an office in Transylvania, Romania.  In the Saxon village of Laslea, INTBAU will have a preliminary info centre from 1 May.  At the same time will start the restoration work for House 344, envisaged as INTBAU headquarters, once the legal existence of the house - erased from legal records at some point - can be re-established.

Romania Ecotourism Workshop

Meanwhile, INTBAU will hold an Romanian Ecotourism Workshop, in Laslea, Transylvania, from 1-8 May.  The funding will be provided by the Norwegian Directorate of Cultural Heritage (PREM Project) and 6 scholarships will be offered to Romanian students.  The purpose of the workshop is to map existing guests houses, walking paths, hunting, possibilities etc., and make a plan for development of tourism in the municipality of Laslea.  Details will be on our website shortly.  For more details and to register please contact Audun Engh at audun.engh at broadpark.no

INTBAU out and about

Cyndi Chiao, who works as INTBAU Registrar will be in the US for most of April, and Aura Neag, who has been working as INTBAU's Communications director, will be in Romania for most of April.  Those of you who will be in the US or Romania in April and would like to meet them and ask for further details about our projects/workshops/work please let us know by email.

Cyndi's email is cyndi.chiao at princes-foundation.org

Aura's email is aura.neag at princes-foundation.org

Don't forget that you can join at any time by going to http://www.intbau.org/join.htm

With kind regards,

Matthew Hardy.

Dr Matthew Hardy, Secretary
International Network for Traditional Building, Architecture & Urbanism