[URBANTH-L]advocacy planning/citizen participation and antipovertyefforts

Brinda.Dalal at parc.com Brinda.Dalal at parc.com
Tue Nov 8 17:17:42 EST 2005

Rae,

The following might provide some insight in regard to women,
micro-credit, and housing and shelter issues in Bombay, India.

Arjun Appadurai's paper on Deep Democracy might be a useful start. A
draft version may be found here: http://www.sdinet.org/reports/r10.htm

Appadurai discusses the work of the Non-Governmental Organization called
SPARC and affiliated organizations. SPARC's publications, which go back
to 1984, can be found here:
http://www.sparcindia.org/Frame/fpublications.html (Note that these do
not provide a critique as such)

In a similar vein, grassroots efforts on issues around shelter in South
Africa:
http://www.ar.utexas.edu/planning/forum/vol9PDFs/wilsonlowery.pdf

Brinda Dalal