[URBANTH-L]personal network study in Africa

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 23 12:08:28 EST 2006

I wonder if list members can help me track a half-remembered research
project.

15-20 years ago, I recall hearing about a doctoral dissertation, using
West African data.

It was a study of personal networks, and the information was elicted by
the researcher drawing concentric zones in the dirt, with the
Ego/respondent at the centre.

Then dolls were used to place members of the respondent's social network.

We're using a similar technique in 2 studies (Toronto, northern Ontario),
except we're using 11"x17" paper (with concentric zones) and sticky notes
(post-it notes).

I would love to locate the original study.
 Barry