[URBANTH-L]CFP: Urban Marginalization and Popular Culture, EASA 2008

Jaffe, Rivke RJaffe at fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Mar 7 15:00:36 EST 2008

CALL FOR PAPERS
Workshop at the 10th Biennial Conference of the European Association of
Social Anthropologists (EASA)
Ljubljana, Slovenia, 26 - 30 August 2008

Urban marginalization and popular culture

Since the groundbreaking work of Stuart Hall and the Birmingham school
of cultural studies, popular culture and the specific urban experience
of marginalization and contestation have been leading themes within the
social sciences. In this panel, we seek to build upon and extend that
critical work by investigating empirically the manner in which youths in
cities worldwide employ popular culture to frame and negotiate social
and spatial marginalization, often critiquing 'common sense'
understandings of propriety and the social order. In the narration and
contestation of specific urban identities and spaces, we see the linking
of popular globalized representations of youth, cities and exclusion to
social practices at different levels of scale. We are specifically but
not exclusively interested in the global dissemination and appropriation
of black popular culture - including hiphop, reggae, dancehall and
reggaeton - and the emergence of discursive spaces such as the 'hood,
the barrio, the ghetto and the street. In this, we seek to explore
whether spatially constructed identities may eclipse a specifically
racialized understanding of blackness, and what role capitalism and
culture industries play in this process.

Workshop convenors:
Rivke Jaffe (Leiden University, The Netherlands),
RJaffe at fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Francio Guadeloupe (Radboud University Nijmegen/KITLV, The Netherlands),
f.guadeloupe at maw.ru.nl

To propose a paper please submit an abstract (max. 250 words) at
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa08/panels.php5?PanelID=378
The deadline for paper proposals is March 31, 2008.

For more on the conference see
http://www.easa2008.eu/en/informacija.asp?id_meta_type=13

the system manager.