[YAPA] entropy

Michael Crescimanno mcrescim at as.ysu.edu
Fri May 23 10:52:04 EDT 2008

Hi YAPA!! I miss you all (been away all year)!! Hey, Norma, excellent
question. I believe that what that entropy refers to assumes the
Nernst postulate; that the entropy of a material at zero temperature
(absolute) is zero.

Nernst had a student measuring entropy changes in
various gasses and gas mixtures when during -as I understand it-
the student's doctoral defense Nernst realized that all these
entropy changes were only consistent with one another if the
entropy at absolute zero was zero for each component. Viola!

Ergo, Nernst's postulate. Really comes from experiment that predated
the Boltzmann view of entropy, though it is (generally) consistent with it.

For any gas, as  you give it heat dQ the temperature rises. Sum
up all the dQ/T from absolute zero and I think that you get that
quoted #. Thus note one non-trivial thing about Nernst's postualate is
that the specific heat at low temps must go to zero.

Peace, have fun at the Zitto BBQ; I can't wait to get back to Ytown and
merrilly struggle with this all with you all again !! -mike

Michael Crescimanno                              mcrescim at cc.ysu.edu
Assoc. Professor of Physics                      Tel: (330)-941-7109
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Youngstown State University                      Fax: (330)-941-3121
Youngstown, OH 44555-2001	     http://www.as.ysu.edu/~mcrescim