[YAPA] YAPA meeting this coming MONDAY at YSU

Roy McCullough rmccullo at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 08:34:35 EST 2008

Sorry for the late reminder.
YAPA will be held this Monday at YSU Ward Beecher Hall room 2026.   To celebrate the season, bring along your FALLing for physics ideas or anything you care to share.   Reminder Dick Z will be giving away the CPO demonstration electric motor.  Those interested in building show box spectroscope from CD's should bring a shoe box. We will again have our standard give-aways as well.

At the last meeting:

Jodi McCullough shared changing a force probe into a force plate and an attempt to measure impulse of a "stomp" rocket.   Kevin Boyd shared his wrap up activity where students make and write up apparatus to demonstrate ideas in the course.  He brought along a great golf ball driven momentum cart ai student had constructed.    Rebecca Sobinovsky is working on textbook adoption for physics next year and would appreciate any input.    Our host, Steve Hlaudy brought up an interesting question about the odor from a punctured ping pong ball... lead to a lively discussion and some experimentation.   Roy Mc. demonstrated several versions of "Newton's cradle or balancing balls" and discussed the implications for momentum, energy and angular momentum.   Those attending indicated an interest in building a golf ball version at a future YAPA meeting.   Mike C. shared several demonstrations (that he then added to the give-aways) on using LEDs to look at quantum energy effects and ended with a new rendition of his inexpensive magentic field detectors which he then gave to our host.

Hope to see you Monday.

Roy and Mike