[YAPA] using microgravity in forces and motion instruction?

Rich DeLombard 00ug00 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 10:48:27 EST 2009

Would there be interest in discussing microgravity (for forces and
motion instruction) during a YAPA meeting?  A friend (past member of
YAPA) mentioned YAPA to me.

Last fall I retired from NASA Glenn in Cleveland where I was a project
manager and engineer in the microgravity science program. For about 15
years, I've also been involved with public outreach and educational
programs for NASA, both in Cleveland and at public events across the
country (e.g. airshows, NASA exhibits, conferences, workshops).  A
popular item was a small drop tower to demonstrate microgravity
science and also simple devices to illustrate free fall, orbits,
floating on the Shuttle and Station, etc.

After retirement, I've been taking some of that knowledge and trying
to get it out to more teachers.  Right now, I am offering a kit of
equipment along with explanations and instructions to demonstrate
microgravity in the classroom.  This ties to free fall, forces and
motions, orbital motion, the moon, and more.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res117bnp/mrmicrogravity/index.html
I thought it would be helpful if YAPA members were aware of this.

By the way, one of the contact e-addresses on the YAPA web pages does
not work.
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <slshanks at cc.ysu.edu>
>    (reason: 550 unknown user)