[YAPA] May Meeting- final chance for picnic invitation

Roy McCullough rmccullo at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 18:48:14 EDT 2009

Fellow YAPA members,

Next Tuesday, May 12, is your last chance to qualify for an invitation to the Zitto picnic grounds.  Don’t miss the chance to meet with your colleagues and swap end of year stories, ask questions, seek help with equipment, etc.  The meeting is at YSU 7:00 -?? , room 2026, as usual.  I am also interested in suggestions for improving the Physics Olympics – Jodi, after viewing several YouTube displays has suggested we replace the Hang Ups with a video presentation, theme/music driven… If you have thoughts on that suggestion or others and cannot make this meeting, feel free to email me at rmccullough at ysu.edu.  Keep in mind that any suggestions have to be cost neutral, as we, like many nonprofits, have found our donations drop this year.

Hope to see you there.

Roy

Summary of last meeting:

Colleen Campbell (our hostess) shared an exciting picture of a truck that crashed a guard rail and flipped over a culvert.  The fascinating part was the zoomed out picture that showed this happened over a deep ravine.   She also shared her experience using Turning Point, personal response devices.

Mike shared the output of a resonant tube interaction with a digital oscillator.

Robert Pendzick shared some global warming demos/thoughts… Demonstrating layering with cups of water one in a baggie one not, both with light on them.  He also noted that the global sales of Coca Cola has an interesting correlation with the atmospheric carbon dioxide curve.

Dick Zitto decided to make up for his absence by sharing several items:
   a representative from CPO (physics curriculum/equipment) will be at the picnic.
   a 1895 high school chemistry book
   an LED 1 Watt night light
   from Popular Science an ear bud amplifier using plastic cups
   using an eye chart to show image reversal and image distance in a plane mirror
   an old mirror used by TV repairmen

Tim Battista shared the idea that they used a corner mirror to align TVs.

Jodi McCullough shared her classroom summer reading books and her new Marcia Bartusiak book- The Day We Found the Universe

Roy shared the toy called the Flash Screen, with its persistent glowing, but lack of response to frequencies of green light and below…

Mike showed us that once energized, the region with persistent glowing could be brightened (i.e. electrons moved up an intermediate step) with red light.