[YAPA] Three easy pieces...all teaching the utility of exponentials

Michael Crescimanno mcrescim at as.ysu.edu
Sun Feb 21 17:54:42 EST 2010

Three easy pieces...all teaching the utility of exponentials

	Dear YAPA and general science-education folks,

Want to teach your students about the utility of exponential
functions for unlocking the secrets of real 'live' data?
Here's an easy way: connect to the YSU Physics lab server and
conduct one of these three experiments remotely from the comfort
(and chaos!) of your classroom;

o Half-life of ^109Ag
o Newton's law of cooling: shape dependence
o Diffusion of a solute

You need nothing more than an internet connection and a phone call (to
me to set it up) to actually run the experiment at YSU from your
classroom. Each of these experiments run for 10 - 20 minutes of data
collection. Then you can download the data to excell for your
students to analyze the data further. No cost, no cleanup, no hassle,
and lots help analyzing the data if wanted.

These experiments (and several others) were created in celebration of
National Laboratory Day 2010, and are ready to roll with
nothing more than a phone call...though I need about 30 minutes
prior to set one up for you. Take a look at

http://www.as.ysu.edu/~mcrescim/yapa/

and click on the national lab day link to learn more about how to
run a lab at YSU physics remotely.

	Take care, and feel free to contact me with questions,

-mike crescimanno
330 941 7109

Michael Crescimanno                              mcrescim at cc.ysu.edu
Professor of Physics                             Tel: (330)-941-7109
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Youngstown State University                      Fax: (330)-941-3121
Youngstown, OH 44555-2001	     http://www.as.ysu.edu/~mcrescim