[YAPA] February Meeting

Roy McCullough rmccullo at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 21:04:34 EST 2011

Hello fellow science teachers,

This is a reminder that the next YAPA meeting will take place on February 3rd at Mineral Ridge High School (1334 Seaborn Street, Mineral Ridge, Ohio map attached).   Our hostess will be Debbie Smith.  I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I get a charge out of teaching static electricity this time of year, so that is the topic I propose.   However, as usual the floor will be open to any topic you wish to discuss and/or share.  As usual, the meeting will start at approximately 7:00.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Roy

What you missed at the November meeting:
Gregg discussed the ongoing progress of the College in High School program.  He also mentioned that the department is proposing a summer course for science teachers, physics 5890.  The topic for this year would be teaching astronomy at the secondary level and would be taught by Jodi McCullough.  The proposed schedule is for 8 days near the end of June.  Check with the department for further details.   Gregg ended his presentation with information regarding student investigations using the CO2 laser and photoacoustic spectroscopy.

Mike was next mentioning the APS meeting in John Carroll on New Energy.  Mike also discussed how he presents resonance frequencies with energy topics.

Following Mike, Jodi presented an update on comet Hartley, showing pictures she and Roy took from home, followed by close ups taken by NASA.  She then proceeded to discuss and demonstrate how she had her students use the free planetarium software Stellarium to measure Europa’s orbit and use this data and scaling to calculate the mass of Jupiter.

Rich   demonstrated using a novel shaped ice cube tray to model magnetic domains.

Dick shared that Harbor Freight had a decibel meter for about $20.

Rebecca reported on her attendance at a Turning Technologies conference on use of response systems in the classroom.

At the end of the meeting, several members stayed after to put together their own cheap knock off of the Cenco LED array with parts supplied by Roy.