[YAPA] fast ping pong balls

Robert Pendzick Robert.Pendzick at neomin.org
Thu Mar 20 13:16:46 EDT 2014

Seeing we had a demo. of ping pong ball shooter,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYNCGZCul1Q

and there is a Mythbuster's that just did this

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/supersonic-ping-pong-high-speed.htm

(Just have to find it through the other stuff on the site.)

As we agreed that the balls flight speed seems to be limited to the speed of sound so could a method of variation might make it faster?   The faster launchers use a compressed gas behind the ball in the vacuum tube, so suppose a denser gas was used like sulfur hexafluoride?  Would the ball go as fast as sound in that gas?