[Ysu-academic-senate] Message to Senate on the YSU Tsunami Relief Fund

Bob Hogue bobhogue at cis.ysu.edu
Tue Feb 8 16:10:42 EST 2005

Senators:
 From Monday, February 14, 2005, to Monday, March 14, 2005, there will
be a drive on campus to assist the victims of the tsunami in South Asia
in December.  An ad hoc committee of about twenty-five faculty, staff,
and students has organized this one month drive so that we as a YSU
family can show our compassion to victims of one of the worst natural
disasters in modern history.  Even if you have already given to other
drives to help these victims, I ask that you dig a little deeper and
join hundreds of others YSU trustees, faculty, staff, and students in
this institutional drive.  The need is urgent and massive.

Contributions can be made at the YSU Branch of Home Savings on the
ground floor of Kilcalwey Center starting February 14 during regular
banking hours.  Contributions can be by check or in cash.  Checks should
be made out to "YSU Tsunami Relief Fund."  Checks made out to this fund
may also be sent via campus mail.  Please address the campus mail
envelope to "Home Savings - YSU Branch."  Do not send cash through
campus mail.  All contributions to the YSU Tsunami Relief fund are tax
deductible.  Donors will get a receipt from the teller at Home Savings
who receives their contribution.

When the campus drive closes on March 14, 2005, a check from Home
Savings for the entire amount donated will be sent to UNICEF in New York
City.  UNICEF has confirmed in writing to YSU that it will earmark these
YSU donations exclusively for South Asia tsunami relief.

The signatories of the YSU Tsunami Relief Fund account at Home Savings
are Angela Mavrikis, President of Student Government; Dr. George
McCloud, Special Assistant to the President; and myself.  The three of
us are deeply grateful to the management and staff of Home Savings who
are administering this fund and receiving all donations free of
charge.   When you visit the YSU Branch of Home Savings, I urge you to
say a thank you to the teller who receives your donation.

To faculty Senators, I ask that you make an announcement of this campus
project in your classes later this week or next week and that you urge
your students to participate.  I do not recommend collecting monies in
class.

Thank you for your help and cooperation.
Tom Shipka, Chair
Academic Senate