[Ysu-academic-senate] Fwd: Pack Beeghly Center/Meet the Coaches

Bob Hogue rahogue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:17:33 EST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

In my remarks at last month's Academic Senate meeting, I noted that
athletics is a window into the academic environment of a university.  On
Friday, January 22nd, YSU will be given the opportunity to open that window
to the entire country.

The men's basketball team will play Milwaukee at Beeghly Center at 7:00 PM
in a national televised game on ESPNU (see attached flyer).  Last year, the
men's team played and beat Cleveland State in a very exciting
ESPNU-televised game before more than 6,000 raucous fans filling every
corner of the arena. That event provided our University a great deal of
positive national attention.  On January 22nd, once again, we have the
chance to put the spotlight back on YSU, but your help is needed.

I am asking that members of the Senate not only attend the game, but to help
pack Beeghly Center to the rafters by sending the attached flyer to friends
and colleagues. To make this an even more attractive opportunity, the YSU
Athletics Program is sponsoring a "Meet the Coaches" event where free
tickets to the game will be provided.  The exact date, time, and place will
be announced soon where faculty and staff can meet and greet our head
basketball coach, Jerry Slocum, and our new head football coach, Eric
Wolford.  Moreover, the Athletic Program will be giving away free tickets to
each attendee for the January 22nd game, enough for you and your
family/friends to come and cheer the Penguins on to victory before a
national audience.

Again, athletics is an integral part of our academic environment and
deserving of our staunch support. Afterall, the athletes are our students
and students are the very heart of YSU.  Please help support the 'Guins by
attending not only this special event, but as many athletic events as you
possibly can.

Thanks for your consideration,

Chet Cooper
Chair, Academic Senate