[Ysu-academic-senate] Mid-Semester Reminders for Senate Business

Chet Cooper crcooper01 at ysu.edu
Wed Feb 24 06:03:48 EST 2016

Dear Colleagues,
We are fast approaching that time when the Senate typically goes into high gear trying to conclude its obligations for the academic year.  Rather than dealing with a crush of business at the May meeting, committees are encouraged to be proactive in completing their work and submitting reports by the deadline for agenda items (usually one week before the Senate meeting).  In addition, Senators are strongly encouraged to come to meetings prepared for discussions by reviewing the agenda and attached documents.
Additionally, Senators should remind their departments/programs that Senate committees need time to act upon any business brought forth.  In particular, curricular and programmatic proposals must meet committee deadlines.
Finally, on behalf of the Senate Executive Committee, and upon advice of the Senate’s parliamentarian, I wish to remind both Senate members and committee chairs about several procedural items as we approach the end of the academic year.

1)  Committees shall meet at least twice during every semester of the academic year.

2)  Committees shall place a report before the Senate at least once per academic year.

3)  Committees shall record minutes of their meetings and distribute copies of their approved minutes to the Executive Committee [these can be sent to either or both the Senate Secretary (Amy Flick – aflick at ysu.edu)<mailto:aflick at ysu.edu)> or Senate Chair].

4)  Roberts’ Rules of Order shall apply to all committee business.

5)  All committees are creatures of the Senate and cannot act on their own without the explicit approval of the Senate or the Senate Executive Committee.  All committee actions/recommendations are required to be approved by the Senate. (No motions are needed since proposed actions/recommendations come from the committee).

6)  Any committee report not containing an action/recommendation item shall be received by the Senate.  Receiving a committee report requires a motion and second from the floor.
Should you have any questions, please do hesitate to contact me.
My thanks to all of you for your contributions to the Senate and the University.
Cheers,
Chet Cooper, Chair
Academic Senate
--
Chester R. Cooper, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor, Biological Sciences

Voice/Phone: 330.941.1361

Notice: This electronic mail transmission may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential.  This information is intended for the use of the named individual(s) or entity to which it is directed.  It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, anyone other than the named addressee and should not be copied or forwarded to any unauthorized persons without prior notification of the author.  If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify me by reply e-mail or via the above listed telephone number prior to deleting this message from your system.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Disclaimer: On occasion, it is possible that  attachments may be inadvertently included that do not wholly comply with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).  If a recipient of this email receives such a document, but requires one that fully meets ADA standards, please contact me at your earliest convenience.  I will send a compliant document as soon as practical.