[bfsa] Relay for Life

Arlene Floyd afloyd at ysu.edu
Tue Apr 29 17:38:57 EDT 2003

I want to extend my sincerest thanks to Brenda Scarborough and Rick
Bevly for their hard work on the YSU Relay for Life this past weekend.
Jennifer Roller and family also did a great job representing.

I would like to extend this challenge to all Black faculty, staff,
students, and alumni for next year.  We all know or have experienced the
ravages of cancer on family and friends and we need to stand up and do
something positive for the cause.  This year there will be a Hispanic
Realy for Life in Campbell.  We need to come together and get involved.
We can start by planning NOW for next year.  We need to have our
fraternaties, sororities, and other student organizations to sponsor
teams.  Car washes, bake sales, dinners, raffles, and other fund raising
activities need to be planned and a calendar of events established.  Our
communities do not exhibit the volunteerism of other groups and
consequently we are not included in many things.  We need to start
representing!!

I hope that many of you will take this challenge and work with us next
year to stand and represent our communities and organizations in this
worthwhile effort.  Also notice where the cancer $$$ are spent.  If we
want more programs in our communities then we need clout and to be the
proverbial 800 lb gorilla and the only way is through participation!!

Arlene Floyd