[bfsa] Re: Call for Participants in Poetry Discussion

Leon Stennis lstennis at ysu.edu
Mon Jan 3 11:36:10 EST 2005

Black Faculty and Staff:

The Community Diversity Committee of the YSU Diversity Council will pay
tribute to civil rights heroine Rosa Park with two event in Februray.
The first event will be a discussion of Pulitzer Prize-winner Rita
Dove's book of poetry titled "On the Bus with Rosa Parks" at 6 p.m.
Thursday Feb. 3 at the Main Branch of the Public Library of Youngstown
and Mahoning County.  We are in need Rosa admirers and poetry lovers to
participate in the disucssion.   The two events will commemorate the
50th anniversary of Rosa's refusal to sit in the back of the bus, back
in 1955 in Montgomery, Ala..  If you would like to participate in the
discussion about Rosa, please contact me at Lstennis at ysu.edu or call me
at 330-941-2718 as soon as possible.  I will send you copies of poems
about Rosa in "On the Bus with Rosa Parks" copies of several reviews.

The other event will be the reading of original poetry and the showing
of a film about Rosa by by the We Be Poetry group at 7:30 p.m. Friday,
Feb. 11 at the Students Motivated by the Arts (SMARTS) headquarters, 258
Federal Plaza (next door to Powers Auditorium).  The poetry  program
will  be preceded a wine and cheese buffet from 6:30  to 7:30 p.m.   We
hope all of you will be able to attend.

Update on Rosa: She is in he early stage of Alzheimer's disease in
Detroit, where she later moved.

Leon Stennis
YSU Coordinator of Diversity Initiatives