[bfsa] Dr. Mark Dean IBM Fellow & VP Systems

Brenda Scarborough bmscarborough at ysu.edu
Thu Oct 6 07:54:27 EDT 2005

 From Gwenn Clark:

Wow!

Please take a look at Dr. Mark Dean's IBM web site which lists him as an IBM
Fellow and Vice President of Systems:

    http://www.research.ibm.com/people/d/deanm/

It states that, "Only 50 out of 310,000 IBM employees have the level of IBM
Fellow."  He is indeed accomplished.  Wouldn't be great if popular African
American magazines, such as Ebony and Essence, would feature someone
like him
on their cover -- instead of just the "celebrities"?  Actually, he'd make a
nice cover . . .

Also see:

    http://www.cyberlab1.com/drdeanlist.htm
    http://www.cyberlab1.com/AfriTech.htm#Afritech%20Categories

It's great to know that there are teachers out there who are promoting
Dr. Dean
and his contributions -- while developing challenging assignments for
learning!

We need to make sure that when we make history that WE don't forget or
miss the
opportunity to "celebratize" those who achieve accomplishments outside
of the
sports and entertainment arenas.

Someone sent the attached 6-page list to me in 2002 of African American
Firsts
covering the period from 1619 to 2002.  Every time I see it, it amazes
me how
little we  know about or recognize the names of the people who impacted our
history . . . or how long ago we made so many achievements in such a hostile
environment.

Wonder how we could incorporate these accomplishments in our every day
lives .
. .?
Thank you Gwenn