[bfsa] BFSA Bylaws

Cameron Hughes cahughes at cc.ysu.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:34:52 EDT 2005

> Robin Bradley wrote:
>
> Good Day,
>

> To YSU BFSA, please note that a section of the bylaws is not on the
> website:
>

> With regards to Article III-Membership
>

> It should read:
>

> There shall be three types of membership in the Association:  Regular,
> Associate and Student.  Associate and Student members shall have
> voice, but not vote, in the business of the Association. (This section
> was left off when the information was placed on the website.)
>

> a.         Regular Membership:     Full-time and Part-time Black
> Faculty and Staff (Administrators and Civil Service Employees);
>
> b.         Associate Membership:  Community People and interested
> others
>
> c.         Student Membership:     Graduate Students and Undergraduate
> Student Leaders.
>

> Respectfully,
>

> Robin S. Bradley, Secretary
>
> BFSA

Robin,  I will assume that your bracketed statement:

. (This section was left off when the information was placed on the
website.)

 does not carry with it any nefarious innuendo.

I do however have 4 points to make in response to the correction.

1)  Fortunately we have the original copies of the bylaws that we
received from Brenda Scarborough (The Treasurer)
    We have the copies in three forms (paper, as electronic archives on
Unix1 and the original e-mail from Brenda)
    Since you have not been to any of the recent BFSA meetings you
probably aren't aware that we are working
    from  a copy of the bylaws that we received from BFSA's treasurer.

2)  The BFSA website is a massive effort requiring the hardwork (15
hours or more per week) by a small team
    of people. If you have ever done a website then you would know how
much work it requires.  The bylaws and mission statement that we have
been working from have been on that website and  in the public domain
for over 30 days now.
   If you thought you saw inaccuracies with either the published bylaws
    or mission statement, as secretary you had an obligation to correct
the record.  If you are
    just now (after 30 or more days) seeing what you feel is an omission
(purposed or otherwise)  then you have
    been somewhat remiss in your obligation as secretary to the
organization. In either case
    your late announcement of a variance in the bylaws is demonstrative
of precisely why special elections are in order.

3)  We don't want to get too carried away or technical with the current
bylaws because according to Aricle IV
    The term of all of the BFSA officers has expired years ago. Does the
BFSA even officially exist? Further with
    respect to the involvement of students in this election we should be
happy to get any participation student,
   community, faculty, staff or otherwise. We are in no position to be
choosy.  Some of the students that have been nominated
     have been coming to the meetings, participating, offering
constructive ideas, making useful suggestions, (taking the minutes
     in the absence of the elected secretary) and were engaged with our
meeting with President Sweet and Provost Herbert.
    That is more than I can say about others who have simply sat out,
been indifferent, and complained or criticized.

Can't we all just get along :-)

4)   The BFSA has a meeting on October 21 from 4:00 - 6:00 in
Kilcawley.  Why don't you bring any rumor, innuendo,
     dissention ,criticism or correction  to that meeting so that we can
deal with
     it face to face in the light of day like the educated people that
we all are :-)