[bfsa] Hootie-Who - BFSA and advocacy?

Cameron Hughes cahughes at cc.ysu.edu
Sat Sep 24 14:30:44 EDT 2005

There is a lot of commotion about whether the BFSA mission statement
includes advocacy.

Folks for those of you who don't already know this,

of course advocacy is part of BFSA's mission statement.

If we faithfully execute our mission statement year in and year out, by
definition we will
have advocated for faculty, staff, and students.

Advocacy is a natural and logical consequence of our mission statement.
Although the
word advocacy is not explicity stated in the mission statement it is
implied and it can be
easily inferred or deduced.  It not that the BFSA mission statement is
only about advocacy, we obviously
have other initiatives and objectives. Its that we can't exclude
advocacy when its necessary.

With that in mind it was suggested some time ago that we contact our
friends and associates at:

Black Faculty Staff Association  at John Hopkins University
Black Faculty Staff Association  at University of South Carolina
Black Faculty Staff Association  at Boston College
Black Faculty Staff Association  at University of Louisville
Black Faculty Staff Association  at Clemenson University
Black Faculty Staff Association  at Floriday Internation University

to help us formulate the proper response to the termination of Dr.
Midamba in particular and to help us with the broader problem.
It was also suggested some time ago that we organize a request to our
brothers and sisters in:

Alpha Phi Alpha
Iota Phi Theta
Alpha Kappa Alpha
Sigma Gamma Rho
Omega Psi PHi
Phi Delta Psi
Zeta Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Psi
Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa
and a few other :-)

We have contacts and membership in these fraternities and sororities in
chapters all over the place.
The suggestion was that we inlist them in helping us to formulate the
proper response to the termination of
Dr. Midamba.

Since there is a lot of confusion on who's doing what. Since Some folks
think we should, some think we shouldn't etc. Since there is a firestorm
of rumor, innuendo,etc with regards to lots of things BFSA in general
and the issue of Dr Midamba in particular. It has been suggested that we
call a tactics and strategy meeting so that we can get on the same
page.  Now is not the time for in-fighting or brooding about the past.
We are on the threshold of something very interesting here.

It appears that this group is about to go prime time in a very big way.
We need to make sure that we get it together,
that we are working from the same playbook.

Keep posted for the meeting date.