[bfsa] FW: Scammers are taking advantage of Swine Flu fear

Yulanda McCarty-Harris ymccartyharris at ysu.edu
Thu Apr 30 18:00:35 EDT 2009

Fyi.

  _____

From: Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray
[mailto:info at ohioattorneygeneral.gov]
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:30 PM
To: ymccartyharris at ysu.edu
Subject: Scammers are taking advantage of Swine Flu fear

All,

What's in the news often drives companion scams. My office has received
complaints related to the Economic Stimulus Package, tax returns, and
television conversion to HD. It appears that the same predators are now
attempting to take advantage of people's fear about swine flu.

According to the Better Business Bureau and online security companies,
e-mails from spammers about swine flu already make up two percent of spam
emails, and hundreds of Web sites using the term "swine flu" have already
been registered.

In addition to making you aware of this trend, I need your help to identify
the scams.

Here's how you can help:

*	Forward suspicious e-mails to the Federal Trade Commission at:
spam at uce.gov, then delete them from your inbox.
*	File a complaint with the Attorney General's office about e-mails,
phone calls, direct mail, or other attempts to scam you. You can do this by
logging on to www.SpeakOutOhio.gov
<http://click.bsftransmit9.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=g5riH%2f7zby36J%2fQZJ5f
%2boDnzO6GmFI7yc4tLey3zQ2E%3d&digest=JltbLnGudECl8zqXv4eXlQ>  or by calling
(800) 282-0515.
*	Forward this e-mail to friends and family so they can be aware.
*	For reputable information and updates on swine flu and fighting the
outbreak, go to www.CDC.gov/swineflu
<http://click.bsftransmit9.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=BoulhYMJ%2bfH%2bcm4vsnF
T3hpwAHthND%2be2my80%2bj2yfE%3d&digest=PakNj2mfjEVoVmzmdEECHg>

And remember: to protect yourself from any kind of scam, NEVER send personal
information, such as bank account numbers or Social Security numbers, via
e-mail. If you're asked for this information in an e-mail, don't respond and
don't click on links in the message.

Thank you for helping protect the pocketbooks of Ohioans.

Sincerely

Richard Cordray
Ohio Attorney General

<http://click.bsftransmit9.com/Forward.aspx?pubids=fPaGmrItL3%2fWnEW80eiwucP
rr8id8HKvDHYZVPhMlD8%3d&digest=Lz90BIHX4feTA0idATAWkQ>  to a friend
Unsubscribe
<http://click.bsftransmit9.com/OptOut.aspx?pubids=fPaGmrItL3%2fWnEW80eiwucPr
r8id8HKvDHYZVPhMlD8%3d&digest=Lz90BIHX4feTA0idATAWkQ>

<http://click.bsftransmit9.com/Open.aspx?pubids=fPaGmrItL3%2fWnEW80eiwucPrr8
id8HKvDHYZVPhMlD8%3d&digest=Lz90BIHX4feTA0idATAWkQ>