[URBANTH-L]"Translocality: Discussing Culture and Change in the 21st Century"---Canadian Anthropology Society 2005 Conference in Merida, Mexico---Call for papers (deadline extended to February 15, 2005) (fwd)

Rae Bridgman raea at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 16 18:18:29 EST 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:28:32 -0500
From: Julia Harrison <jharrison at trentu.ca>

EXTENDED DEADLINE: February 15, 2005 for proposals/papers for CASCA 2005
conference.

The deadline for submission of session proposals, roundtables, workshops
and individual papers for the 2005 Canadian Anthropology Society/societe
canadienne d'anthropologie conference in Merida, Mexico has been extended to FEBRUARY 15, 2005.

Check the CASCA website at http://www.cas-sca.ca for details on submissions and the conference theme of Translocality: Discussing Culture and Change in the 21st Century.  The original CFP is pasted below. The dates of the conference are May 3-8, 2005.

Watch for details to be posted shortly on the CASCA website concerning the registration process, hotels and accommodation, and information about the conference programme. Details on application for student travel subsidies will be posted in early December. Continue to check the website over the winter as more details about the conference and planned events are finalized.

This year's CASCA conference, a tripartite event with the Facultad de Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad Autonoma de Yucatán (UADY)and the Society for North American Anthropology is shaping up to be a most memorable one!  Several excellent proposals have all ready been received. I hope to see you all in Merida!

Julia Harrison
President-Elect
CASCA

TRANSLOCALITY
DISCUSSING CULTURE AND CHANGE IN THE 21st CENTURY

Call for Papers

Our increasingly complex world cannot be understood today as a collection of self-contained localities. Anthropology has been quick to respond to the challenges posed by the new forms of hybridity and intensified exchange between localities, nations and world regions. One of the implications of the new approaches is that our perspective itself has changed the way we perceive culture, borders, power and change. The relationships between localities and supralocal or global institutions continue to change according to fluctuations in larger socioeconomic cultural and political processes. It is possible to argue thatlocalities may open or close themselves to the world, according to changes in their larger, socioeconomic and cultural environment. In the meantime, the new movements for aboriginal rights and other social movements are staking their claims on strong notions of place and locality, which are often conflated with identity and cultural belonging. Furthermore, the idiom !
 of the nation is gaining new strength as it is redefined outside its prior identification with the boundaries of States.

The Canadian Anthropological Society / Societe Canadienne d'Anthropologie (CASCA), the Society for the Anthropology of North America (SANA), an the Facultad de Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad Autonoma de Yucatán (UADY) have joined to hold together their 2005 Conference in the city of Merida, Yucatan, in Mexico. This tri-national and tri-lingual anthropology conference will take place May 3-8, 2005 at the central campus of the Automous University of Yucatan. We invite you to explore with us the issues of locality, translocality, nationality and transnationality in what promises to be an exciting transnational gathering, bringing together anthropologists from around the world.

We invite anthropologists from all areas and regional specializations to submit abstracts in any of the three official languages of the conference on the themes of locality, translocality, nationality and transnationality, as well as other themes relevant in anthropology today. They could include (but are not limited to) issues such as race, class and power; local sites of resistance and their interaction with the state; everyday practices and struggles via translocal processes; gender, race, and social movements; gender and sexuality; indigenous rights; immigrant rights and the role of the state; policing the nation across borders; contemporary forms and practices of xenophobia, racism, and state terror; bilateral and multilateral trade agreements, new patterns of accumulation; locales, boundaries, borders, unions and allegiances; political edges and zones of confrontation; sites of contestation; moments of innovation; places on the margin or on the cusp; tensions and confl!
 icts in our research sites; our roles as researchers and public intellectuals; research ethics; the ways in which marginal places, people and agendas may become central, and the reverse; and our praxis from social, regional and national locations as anthropologists trying to intercede in debates about pressing issues in troubling times.

*Abstract submission and registration deadlines:*
Sessions and workshops: October 31st, 2004
Individual papers: January 31st, 2005

CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: merida05 at fant.uady.mx

Advance registration:
Professors and professionals US $70.00
Students and unemployed: US $20.00

On-site registration (only for those not delivering papers):
Professors and professionals: US $75.00
Students: US $25.00

Organizers:
Gabriela Vargas-Cetina (UADY)
Steffan Igor Ayora-Diaz (UADY)
Franciso Fernández-Repetto (UADY)

Program Committee:
UADY: Gabriela Vargas-Cetina and Steffan Igor Ayora-Diaz
CASCA: Alan Smart (Calgary) and Marie France Labrecque (Laval)
SANA: Ana Aparicio (UMB) and Jeff Maskovsky (QC)

General assistant:
Ashanti Rosado-Novelo

Professor Julia Harrison
Chair Women's Studies