[URBANTH-L]Two Further Responses on the AAA Strike

Paul paulanthropus at cox.net
Thu Oct 21 19:37:52 EDT 2004

Colleagues:

I strongly support the San Francisco Hilton strike and will not cross the
picket line of UNITE HERE. If the conference goes ahead at the Hilton, I
will cancel my registration, and possibly my membership in the American
Anthropological Association altogether.

I have seen so many misdeeds commited by this organization that I doubt AAA
reflects the spirit of anthropology as it should be, and may have been once
upon a time--a defender of the defenseless in this era of corporate,
globalized capitalism and a discipline that preferred a carefully crafted
science of humankind to cant that is not so much methodological rigor as
rigor mortis.

Too long, the American Anthropological Association has acted as an appendage
of imperialism, especially in its applied subdisciplines, and taken on the
characteristics of an ossified bureaucracy in its dealings with its own
members, not to mention others. How the AAA handles the SF Hilton crisis
will be an acid test for my decision to stay or leave. Others might want to
make similar considerations.

Sincerely.

Paul McDowell, Ph.D.
University of British Columbia, 1974