[URBANTH-L] conferences........

FromYosee at aol.com FromYosee at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 13:32:22 EDT 2005

Thanks for keeping the list updated to conferences in our subfield (such as
this post and the other about the German conference).  I must wonder,
however, whether I made an incorrect assumption when subscribing to this AAA
division.  I thought urban anthropology was one of the more practical  arms of our
discipline.  Either I was incorrect or we are turning  the clock back a few
years to when post-mo became the standard  "scholar-ese," unapproachable to all
not well versed in the esoteric world of  literary criticism.

I have to wonder how this is going to be helpful to our discipline  with
budget crunches in Higher Ed and tenured positions of  retirees turning into
multiple part-time adjunct pools.  Do we  not need to show our colleagues and
administrators how anthropology is *more*  rather than *less* applicable to today's
difficult economic times in  education?

Please think about trading in the seemingly self-important naval gazing for
more fruitful, applicable and future-reaching approaches.

Joe Ellman, Ph.D.

In a message dated 4/28/2005 10:40:16 AM Central Standard Time,