[URBANTH-L]Response to Joe Ellman

Dr. Mark Peterson petersm2 at muohio.edu
Fri Apr 29 13:52:25 EDT 2005

For many years I have suspected that the term "postmodern" (along with the
term "politically correct") is simply a straw man people construct to burn,
or an epithet that people throw at things they don't like or don't
understand.  Joe Ellman's post does nothing to disabuse me of this
notion.  What on earth seems "po-mo" or "navel gazing" about cultural
tourism and performance?  Or have words like "performance" and "story" just
become anti-"po-mo" red flags producing knee jerk responses?

Tourism circulates as much or more people and more money around the globe
than labor migration, albeit along very different circuits and for
different durations.  The recent efforts by IMF and other organizations to
promote tourism as yet another "magic bullet" has led states to put
increased pressure on their "indigenous" groups to market and display
themselves for touristic consumption.  Under these pressures, ritual
performances are broken free of their local life cycle patterns, social
structures, agricultural cycles and religious calendars, with enormous
consequences for local social and cultural transformation.  Economies,
politics, belief systems--everything is potentially affected.  Ironically
(oops--another po-mo red flag word), even as indigenous groups seek to
market "authenticity" to foreigners, as a result of those efforts the
problem of authenticity arises in the local community as ritual becomes
increasingly a scripted "performance".  In some communities, rituals are
transformed and important intergenerational cultural realities are lost,
traded for tourist dollars.  In other cases, revivals are occurring.  For
example, in Malta the willingness of tourists to pay to watch "medieval"
Catholic pageants has reawakened interest in these rites among the middle
classes, whose educations for decades have taught them to ignore them.

Social change, community, social structure, economic adaptation,
ritual--there's nothing "po-mo" or esoteric in any of this.  Nor is there
anything unreal about the millions of Americans and Europeans and Asians
who will pay for cultural tourism, creating the engine that generates the
performances.  And there are jobs in it.  Cultural tourism is financed by
many development agencies. So you can use your anthropological knowledge to
be selling authenticity or assisting local communities to adapt to economic
conditions while minimizing cultural loss, or both, depending on your
ethical standards.
Frankly, I think it sounds like a great conference and I'm sorry I'll be in
North Africa and have to give it a miss.

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Asst Prof of Anthropology and International Studies
152 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056
tel: 513 529-5018
fax: 513 529-8396
e-mail: petersm2 at muohio.edu

Now in paperback: Anthropology and Mass Communication
http://www.berghahnbooks.com/titles/Peterson.htm

In a message dated 4/28/2005 10:40:16 AM Central Standard Time,