[URBANTH-L]CFP: 2006 SfAA Meetings, "World on the Edge"

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Sat Aug 13 23:22:31 EDT 2005

Call for Papers: "World on the Edge"
65th Annual Meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology
Meeting Dates: 03/28/2006 - 04/02/2006

The 65th Annual Meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology will convene
in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 28-April 2, 2006. The meeting
theme -- "World on the Edge" -- is particularly appropriate, given
Vancouver's geographic location and cultural diversity. The city is at the
edge of North America and serves as the dominant gateway to the Pan-Pacific
Region. As such, it provides a real as well as a metaphorical platform for
assessing the central forces that are shaping our world -- globalization,
multiculturalism, boundaries and borderlands, population migration, and
development. Vancouver has served as a crossroads for diverse ethnic groups,
from the peoples of the First Nations to its most recent Asian immigrants.
The cultural richness of British Columbia rests in part on a national
tradition of tolerance and public policy that emphasizes cultural and ethnic
pluralism. The 65th Annual Meeting invites papers to explore how these
forces push populations to "the edge" -- of their environment, their
culture, their political autonomy. We seek to understand more precisely how
culture and identity may be maintained in multicultural settings. We want to
learn more about the tools people employ to preserve family structures,
health, and nutritional behaviors, as people cross boundaries and leave
traditional homelands.

Contact Information:
Orit Tamir
PO Box 2436