[URBANTH-L]CFP: Growing Up Transnational

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Tue Dec 20 00:52:27 EST 2005

Call for Papers
 Growing up Transnational (tentative title)

We are seeking contributions for an edited collection of essays on issues of
family in a transnational context.
We are looking for scholarly articles that interrogate family relations,
identity politics and cultural locations within the family from a feminist
perspective. We invite articles that embrace an academic or
academic/personal perspective on issues of transnationality with specific
attention to family life and family relations. We especially invite novel
perspectives and interdisciplinary approaches from fields such as Women's
Studies, Gender Studies, Queer Studies, Postcolonial Theory, Literary
Theory, and Critical Theory.

Topics may include (but are not limited to) the following themes:

- transnational relationships within the family
- the family as virtual nation
- the impact of nationalism on gender roles
- travel across borders / across a life time
- interrelatedness between privilege and (dis)placement
- disconnect between origin and ethnic consciousness
- identity mappings across borders
- transnationality and the generation conflict
- poststructuralist/postmodern notions of feminism and family
- home and domesticity in transnational contexts
- virtual and internal border crossings

We invite letters of inquiry and full-length articles (3,000-6,000 words,
MLA style). Initial email submissions are welcome at: May Friedman at
may at orange-carb.org or Silvia Schultermandl at silvisch at rci.rutgers.edu.
Restrictions: Please do not submit work that is under consideration
elsewhere or that has been published previously. Submissions from junior and
senior academics will be given equal consideration.
Submission Deadline: 30 April 2006.

Editors:
May Friedman is a doctoral candidate in Women's Studies at York University
in Toronto, Canada.
Silvia Schultermandl is a Post-Doc Fellow at Rutgers, The State University
of New Jersey, and a lecturer in Women's Studies at Karl-Franzens University
Graz, Austria.
Silvia Schultermandl
Email: silvisch at rci.rutgers.edu