[URBANTH-L]CFP: Ethnography and Urban Culture

Mervyn Horgan mervyn at yorku.ca
Wed Dec 21 23:46:40 EST 2005

Hello all,

The Congress of the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
takes place at York University, Toronto, Canada in May/June 2006.  The Congress
brings together thousands of scholars from across Canada and further afield.
I'm organizing a session for the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Sociology and
Anthropology Association (CSAA) and would welcome contributions people on this
list. Pasted below is the call for papers as well as some
links for further information on the Congress and the CSAA.  Travel subsidies
are available for graduate students who present papers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

-Mervyn

*with apologies for cross-postings*

Urban Sociology  / The Discipline of Sociology

Ethnography and Urban Culture

Connections between urban ethnography and sociology’s institutionalization in
North America are well storied.  Recently though, with the ‘cultural turn’,
older theories and methods have been found wanting.  This panel seeks papers
that engage urban ethnography’s contemporary landscape, whether through
particular case studies or broader surveys of urban ethnographic literature.

Deadline for submission of abstracts to session organizer (mervyn at yorku.ca) is
January 15th, 2006

For specific information on the CSAA:
http://www.csaa.ca/AnnualMeeting/AnnualMeeting2006/2006Menu.htm

For general information on the Congress:
http://www.fedcan.ca/congress2006/index.htm

--
Mervyn Horgan
Graduate Programme in Sociology,