[URBANTH-L]Urban Nexus No. 25 / Child-Friendly Cities (fwd)

RAE BRIDGMAN bridgman at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 17 18:59:44 EST 2005

=2E..for those of you who are working on issues related to "child-friendly
cities."  Rae Bridgman

****

%20Future.pdf>www.communityresearch.ca/v2/www/publications/centres/
> [...]
>=93Children=92s Environments Research and Design:
>Diverse Perspectives, Diverse Outcomes.=94 April
>27, 2005. Vancouver, British Columbia.
>
><http://edra.org/conference/pdfs/EDRA36CFP(7).pdf>edra.org/conference/pdfs=
/EDRA36CFP(7).pdf

>Rural and Remote Medicine Conference. =93Rural
>Communities and Their Medical Needs.=94 April
>28-30, 2005. Montreal, Quebec.
>
><http://www.srpc.ca/rr2005>www.srpc.ca/rr2005
>

>The Cultural Future of Small Cities, Kamloops
>Art Gallery and University College of the
>Cariboo. =93Small Cities Forum.=94 May 4-7, 2005.
>Kamloops, British Columbia.  Information:
><mailto:ldubinsky at museums.ca>ldubinsky at museums.ca
>

>RAIC Festival of Architecture. =93Celebrating the
>City.=94 May 5-7, 2005. Edmonton, Alberta.
><http://www.raicfestival2005.ca/>www.raicfestival2005.ca
>

>Canadian Co-operative Association. =932005
>Congress.=94 May 14-19, 2005. Saskatoon,
>Saskatchewan.
><http://www.coopscanada.coop/meetings/nationalcongress/>www.coopscanada.co=
op/meetings/nationalcongress/

>Arab Urban Development Institute (AUDI), Dubai
>Municipality and the World Bank. =93Urban Children
>and Youth in the MENA Region: Addressing
>Priorities in Education.=94 May 16-18, 2005.
>Dubai, U.A.E.
>
><http://www.araburban.org/childyouth>www.araburban.org/childyouth
>

>3rd InASEA Conference. =93Urban Life and Culture
>in Southeast Europe.=94 May 20, 2005. Belgrade,
>Serbia and Montenegro.
>
><http://www-gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at/inasea/conference3.html>www-gewi.kfunigra=
z.ac.at/inasea/conference3.html

>Local Initiatives Service Corporation. =93Urban
>Forum 2005.=94 May 23-25, 2005. San Francisco,
>California.
>
><http://www.lisc.org/>www.lisc.org
>

>=93Urbistics Montreal 2005. New Trends in the
>Integrated Urban Development.=94 May 23-26, 2005.
>Montreal, Quebec.
>
><http://www.congresbcu.com/urbistics/>www.congresbcu.com/urbistics/
>

>Cooperative State Research, Education, and
>Extension Service. =93The Children, Youth, and
>Families at Risk (CYFAR) Conference 2005.=94 May
>25-27, 2005. Boston, MA.
>
><http://www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/family/cyfar/announcement.html>www.csrees.=
usda.gov/nea/family/cyfar/announcement.html

>UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
>=93African Development Forum V Devoted to Youth
>Issues.=94 June 15-19, 2005. Addis Ababa,
>Ethiopia. Information:
><mailto:kboateng at uneca.org>kboateng at uneca.org
>

>University of Oslo, Norwegian Social Research
>Association, Childwatch International Research
>Network. =93Childhoods 2005.=94 June 29-July 3,
>2005. Oslo, Norway.
>
><http://childhoods2005.uio.no/contact_us.htm>childhoods2005.uio.no/contact=
_us.htm

>Research Committee, Environment and Society.
>=93Technonatures 111: Environments, Technologies,
>Spaces and Places in the 21st Century.=94 July

S2005/total_webb/frame.html

>International Association for the Child=92s Right
>to Play (IPA). =93Play: Learning for Life.=94 July
>18-22, 2005. Berlin, Germany.
>
><http://www.ipa2005.de/>www.ipa2005.de/
>

>United Nations Enivronmental Programme (UNEP)
>and the Aichi Prefectural Government of Japan.
>=93Children=92s World Summit for the Environment.=94
>July 26-29, 2005. Aichi, Japan.
>
><http://www.children-summit.jp/eng_g/index.html>www.children-summit.jp/eng=
_g/index.html

>Sister Cities International. =932005 Annual
>Conference. Connecting Global Villages.=94 July
>27-31, 2005. Spokane, Washington.
>
><http://www.sister-cities.org/www/sci/pdf/2005ACBrochure.pdf>www.sister-ci=
ties.org/www/sci/pdf/2005ACBrochure.pdf

>International Institute for the Urban
>Environment (IIUE), the City of Delft and the
>Network of Child Friendly Cities in the
>Netherlands. =93Childstreet 2005.=94 August 24-26,
>2005. Delft, The Netherlands.
>
><http://www.urban.nl/childstreet2005/>www.urban.nl/childstreet2005/
>

>International Congress on Environmental Planning
>and Management. =93Environmental Challenges of
>Urbanization.=94 September 11-15, 2005. Brasilia,
>Brazil.
>
><http://www.urbenvironcongress.com/>www.urbenvironcongress.com
>

>Winnipeg Inner City Research Alliance.
>=93Cuexpo2005 =96 Community University Research
>Partnerships: Leaders in Urban Change.=94
>September 15-18, 2005. Winnipeg, Manitoba.
>
><http://cuexpo.uwinnipeg.ca/>cuexpo.uwinnipeg.ca/
>

>National League of Cities Institute for Youth,
>Education, and Families. =932005 National Summit
>on Your City=92s Families.=94 September 25-28, 2005.
>San Antonio, Texas.
>
><http://www.nlc.org/iyef/your_city_s_families_conference/862.cfm>www.nlc.o=
rg/iyef/your_city_s_families_conference/862.cfm

>49th IFHP World Congress. =93Urban Futures,
>Continuities and Discontinuities.=94 October 2-5,
>2005. Rome, Italy.
>
><http://www.ifhp.org/>www.ifhp.org
>

>Search Institute. =932005 Healthy Communities,
>Healthy Youth Conference.=94 November 3-5, 2005.
>Dallas, Texas.
>
><http://www.search-institute.org/hchy/Info05.pdf>www.search-institute.org/=
hchy/Info05.pdf

>Policy Research Reports
>

>Aguirre, Angela, and Mary Racelis. 2002. =93Child
>Rights for Urban Poor Children in Child Friendly
>Philippine Cities: Views from the Community.=94
>Environment & Urbanization Vol. 14, No. 2:
>97-113.
>
><http://www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/racelis.pdf>www.childfriendlycitie=
s.org/pdf/racelis.pdf

>Baker, Stephen, Joan Costello, Joan Wynn, Sheila
>Merry, and Harold Richman. 2001. Marking
>Progress in Community Initiatives. Chicago:
>Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1285&L2=3D63&L3=
=3D109>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1285&L2=3D63&L3=3D1=
09

>Beauvais, Caroline, and Jane Jenson. 2003. The
>Well-being of Children: Are There Neighbourhood
>Effects? Ottawa: Canadian Policy Research
>Networks.
>
><http://www.cprn.org/en/doc.cfm?doc=3D156>www.cprn.org/en/doc.cfm?doc=3D15=
6#

>Bennett, Fran, and Sandy Ruxton. 2002. Including
>Children? Developing a Coherent Approach to
>Child Poverty and Social Exclusion across
>Europe. Brussels: Euronet.
>
><http://www.europeanchildrensnetwork.org/Documents/EURONET_EN.pdf>www.euro=
peanchildrensnetwork.org/Documents/EURONET_EN.pdf

>Blinkert, Baldo. 2004. =93Quality of the City for
>Children: Chaos and Order.=94 Children, Youth and
>Environments Vol. 14, No. 2: 99-112.
>
><http://www.colorado.edu/journals/cye/14_2/note1.pdf>www.colorado.edu/jour=
nals/cye/14_2/note1.pdf

>Center for Community Research & Service. 2003.
>Community Development and Family Support:
>Forging a Practical Nexus to Strengthen Families
>and Communities. Newark: University of Delaware.
>
><http://www.aecf.org/publications/data/delaware_report_final.pdf>www.aecf.=
org/publications/data/delaware_report_final.pdf

>Chaskin, Robert. 2001. Lessons Learned from the
>Implementation of the Neighborhood and Family
>Initiative: A Summary of Findings. Chicago:
>Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1295&L2=3D63&L3=
=3D108>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1295&L2=3D63&L3=3D1=
08

>Chaskin, Robert, Selma Chipenda-Dansokho, and
>Amanda K. Toler. 2001. Moving Beyond the
>Neighborhood and Family Initiative: The Final
>Phase and Lessons Learned. Chicago: Chapin Hall
>Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1294&L2=3D63&L3=
=3D108>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1294&L2=3D63&L3=3D1=
08

>Corsi, Marco. 2002. =93The Child Friendly Cities
>Initiative in Italy.=94 Environment & Urbanization
>Vol. 14, No. 2: 169-179.
>
><http://www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/corsi.pdf>www.childfriendlycities.=
org/pdf/corsi.pdf

>Costello, Joan, Sheila Merry, Stephen Baker, and
>Lisa Marie Pickens. 1998. The Children, Youth
>and Families Initiative: A Mid-Course Report.
>Chicago: Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1278&L2=3D63&L3=
=3D109>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1278&L2=3D63&L3=3D1=
09

lwithApp.pdf>www.communityresearch.ca/v2/www/publications/Regina/
>CECYReportfinalwithApp.pdf
>

>Daro, Deborah, Eboni Howard, Jennifer Tobin, and
>Allen Harden. 2004. Cuyahoga County Early
>Childhood Initiative Evaluation Report: Welcome
>Home and Early Start. Chicago: Chapin Hall
>Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1364&L2=3D61&L3=
=3D129>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1364&L2=3D61&L3=3D1=
29

>Euronet. 2003. Children and the Future of
>Europe, Conference Report. Brussels: Euronet.
>
><http://www.europeanchildrensnetwork.Org/Updates/Confreport-En.Pdf>www.eur=
opeanchildrensnetwork.Org/Updates/Confreport-En.Pdf

>Family Service Association of Toronto and
>Community Social Planning Council of Toronto.
>July 2004. Falling Fortunes: A Report on the
>Status of Young Families in Toronto. Toronto:
>Family Service Association of Toronto and
>Community Social Planning Council of Toronto.
>
><http://www.fsatoronto.com/programs/social/FallingFortunes.pdf>www.fsatoro=
nto.com/programs/social/FallingFortunes.pdf

>Feinstein, Otto. 2000. The Urban Agenda =96 Civic
>Literacy Project and the Educational Needs of
>Urban Youth: Promoting Citizenship and Inclusion
>in the School and Community. Detroit: Skillman
>Center for Children, Wayne State University.
>
><http://www.skillmancenter.culma.wayne.edu/OP2000-2.pdf>www.skillmancenter=
=2Eculma.wayne.edu/OP2000-2.pdf

>Fourth Ministerial Conference on Environment and
>Health. 2004. Children=92s Environment and Health
>Action Plan for Europe. Budapest: World Health
>Organization.
>
><http://www.euro.who.int/document/che/edoc07.pdf>www.euro.who.int/document=
/che/edoc07.pdf

>Freiler, Christa, Laurel Rothma, and Pedro
>Barata. 2004. Pathways to Progress: Structural
>Solutions to Address Child Poverty. Toronto:
>Campaign 2000.
>
><http://www.campaign2000.ca/res/dispapers/PathwaysENG.pdf>www.campaign2000=
=2Eca/res/dispapers/PathwaysENG.pdf

>Fronczek, Valerie, and Robert A. Yates. 2003.
>Society for Children and Youth of BC. Child and
>Youth Friendly Communities Initiative =96 Project
>Review. Florence: UNICEF International
>Secretariat for Child Friendly Cities.
>
><http://www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/scy_canada_fulldocument.pdf>www.ch=
ildfriendlycities.org/pdf/scy_canada_fulldocument.pdf

>Fuentes, Patricio, and Reiko Niimi. 2002.
>=93Motivating Municipal Action for Children: The
>Municipal Seal of Approval in Cear=E1, Brazil.=94
>Environment & Urbanization Vol. 14, No. 2:
>123-133.
>
><http://www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/fuentes.pdf>www.childfriendlycitie=
s.org/pdf/fuentes.pdf

>Government of Canada. 2004. A Canada Fit for
>Children: Canada=92s Plan of Action in Response to
>the May 2002 United Nations Special Session on
>Children. Ottawa: Government of Canada.
>
><http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dca-dea/publications/ncd-jna/canada_fit_for_ch=
ildren.pdf>www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dca-dea/publications/ncd-jna/canada_fit_for_=
children.pdf

>Greater London Authority. 2004. Making London
>Better for All Children and Young People: The
>Mayor=92s Children and Young People=92s Strategy.
>London: Greater London Authority.
>
><http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/strategies/children/docs/main.pdf>www.lond=
on.gov.uk/mayor/strategies/children/docs/main.pdf

>Hahn, Andrew. 2001. Change that Abides: A
>Retrospective Look at Five Community and Family
>Strengthening Projects and Their Enduring
>Results. Waltham: Center for Youth and
>Communities, Brandeis University.
>
><http://www.aecf.org/publications/data/change_abides.pdf>www.aecf.org/publ=
ications/data/change_abides.pdf

>Hall, Georgia, Laura Israel, and Joyce Shortt.
>2004. It=92s About Time: A Look at Out-of-School
>Time for Urban Teens. Wellesley: The National
>Institute on Out-of-School Time.
>
><http://www.niost.org/AOLTW.pdf>www.niost.org/AOLTW.pdf
>

>Health Canada. 1999. Healthy Development of
>Children and Youth: The Role of the Determinants
>of Health. Ottawa: Government of Canada.
>
><http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dca-dea/publications/pdf/child_and_youth_e.pdf=
>www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dca-dea/publications/pdf/child_and_youth_e.pdf
>

>Hogan, Cornelius D. 1999. Vermont Communities
>Count: Using Results to Strengthen Services for
>Families and Children. Baltimore: Annie E. Casey
>Foundation.
>
><http://www.aecf.org/publications/data/vermont.pdf>www.aecf.org/publicatio=
ns/data/vermont.pdf

>Jenson, Jane, and Rianne Mahon. 2002. Bringing
>Cities to the Table: Child Care and
>Intergovernmental Relations. Ottawa: Canadian
>Policy Research Networks.
>
><http://www.cprn.org/en/doc.cfm?doc=3D164>www.cprn.org/en/doc.cfm?doc=3D16=
4#

>Kunert-Schroth, Heidrun. 1998. Planning Cities
>for Children and Youth: Current Efforts in
>Germany. Berlin: German Institute of Urban
>Affairs.
>
><http://www.difu.de/publikationen/occasional/DC0530.pdf>www.difu.de/publik=
ationen/occasional/DC0530.pdf

>Makhoul, Anne. 2001. Healthy Families, Healthy
>Communities. Ottawa: Caledon Institute of Social
>Policy.
>
><http://www.caledoninst.org/Publications/PDF/1-894598-53-9.pdf>www.caledon=
inst.org/Publications/PDF/1%2D894598%2D53%2D9%2Epdf

>Makhoul, Anne. 2000. Project Early Intervention.
>Ottawa: Caledon Institute of Social Policy.
>
><http://www.caledoninst.org/Publications/PDF/469ENG.pdf>www.caledoninst.or=
g/Publications/PDF/469ENG%2Epdf

df>www.search-institute.org/research/NatlAsset-BldgCaseStdyProjectI.pdf

>Morrow Virginia. 2001. Networks and
>Neighbourhoods: Children and Young People=92s
>Perspectives. London: Health Development Agency.
>
><http://www.hda-online.org.uk/downloads/pdfs/netneigh.pdf>www.hda-online.o=
rg.uk/downloads/pdfs/netneigh.pdf

>National Children=92s Office. 2004. 2003 Progress
>Report on the National Children=92s Strategy.
>Dublin: Government of Ireland.
>
><http://www.nco.ie/upload_documents/2003_NCS_Progress_Report_PDF_Final.pdf=
>www.nco.ie/upload_documents/2003_NCS_Progress_Report_PDF_Final.pdf
>

>O=92Hare, William, and Mark Mather. 2003. The
>Growing Number of Kids in Severely Distressed
>Neighborhoods: Evidence from the 2000 Census.
>The Annie E. Casey Foundation and Population
>Reference Bureau.
>
><http://www.aecf.org/kidscount/distressed_neighborhoods.pdf>www.aecf.org/k=
idscount/distressed_neighborhoods.pdf

>Reidy, Mairead, and Carolyn Winje. 2002. Youth
>Indicator Initiatives in Place in States as of
>September 2002. Chicago: Chapin Hall Centre for
>Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/pdf_g_new.asp?ar=3D1344&L2=3D65&L3=3D120>www.ch=
apinhall.org/pdf_g_new.asp?ar=3D1344&L2=3D65&L3=3D120

>Reidy, Mairead, and Carolyn Winje. 2002. Youth
>Indicators in Use in States as of September
>2002. Chicago: Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/pdf_g_new.asp?ar=3D1343&L2=3D65&L3=3D120>www.ch=
apinhall.org/pdf_g_new.asp?ar=3D1343&L2=3D65&L3=3D120

>Riggio Chaudhuri, Eliana. 2004. Cities Fit For
>Children in A World Fit For Children. Background
>Paper: Intergovernmental Conference on Making
>Europe and Central Asia Fit for Children.
>Florence: UNICEF International Cities
>Secretariat.
>
><http://www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/srj_cities_for_children_paper.pdf>=
www.childfriendlycities.org/pdf/srj_cities_for_children_paper.pdf

>Simpson, Ann. October 2000. Street Culture Kidz.
>Ottawa: Caledon Institute of Social Policy.
>
><http://www.caledoninst.org/Publications/PDF/1-894598-08-3.pdf>www.caledon=
inst.org/Publications/PDF/1%2D894598%2D08%2D3%2Epdf

>Skillman Center for Children. 2002. Voices from
>the City =96 =93Safe and Sound: Making a Commitment
>to Detroit=92s Kids.=94 Detroit: Skillman Center for
>Children, Wayne State University.
>
><http://www.skillmancenter.culma.wayne.edu/safe.pdf>www.skillmancenter.cul=
ma.wayne.edu/safe.pdf

>Spielberger, Julie, Carol Horton, Lisa Michels,
>and Robert Halpern. 2005. Teens in the Library:
>Findings from the Evaluation of Public Libraries
>as Partners in Youth Development. Chicago:
>Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1380&L2=3D62&L3=
=3D106>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1380&L2=3D62&L3=3D1=
06

>Steinhauer, Paul D. 1996. The Primary Needs of
>Children: A Blueprint for Effective Health
>Promotion at the Community Level. Ottawa:
>Caledon Institute of Social Policy.
>
><http://www.caledoninst.org/Publications/PDF/12ENG.pdf>www.caledoninst.org=
/Publications/PDF/12ENG%2Epdf

>Torjman, Sherry, E. Leviten-Reid, and P.
>Heisler. 2002. A Social Vision for the New City
>of Hamilton. Ottawa: Caledon Institute of Social
>Policy.
>
><http://www.caledoninst.org/Publications/PDF/553820266.pdf>www.caledoninst=
=2Eorg/Publications/PDF/553820266%2Epdf

le=3Dproject_search_result.sql>www.childfriendlycities.org/cgi-bin/cfc/proj=

ple_result.sql&lunga=3DYes&ProductID=3D27>www.childfriendlycities.org/cgi-b=
in/cfc/main.sql?
>file=3Dsearch_simple_result.sql&lunga=3DYes&ProductID=3D27
>

>Vandivere, Sharon, Megan Gallagher, and Kristin
>Anderson Moore. 2004. =93Changes in Children=92s
>Well-Being and Family Environments.=94 Child
>Trends No. 18. Washington: Urban Institute.
>
><http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/310912_snapshots3_no18.pdf>www.urban.org=
/UploadedPDF/310912_snapshots3_no18.pdf

>Wynn, Joan. 2000. The Role of Local Intermediary
>Organizations in the Youth Development Field.
>Chicago: Chapin Hall Centre for Children.
>
><http://www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1284&L2=3D64&L3=
=3D114>www.chapinhall.org/article_abstract_new.asp?ar=3D1284&L2=3D64&L3=3D1=
14