[URBANTH-L]CFP: Urban Culture

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:17:35 EDT 2005

CFP:  Urban Culture

The focus of this year's Urban Culture area is the current state of cities.
We seek presenters who explore the varied ways in which cities are changing
(or not) and the continuous efforts of people to make cities more habitable.
Papers addressing issues such as displacement, multi-cultural encounter,
hybridization, and the production or loss of public space in the context of
the metropolitan city are welcome. How do the home, museum, street
performance, ethnic food, architecture, spoken and written word,
photography, film, sound, music, and movement help us negotiate our urban
desires and to what end? What is the role of new technologies in such
negotiation? Historical or ethnographic studies of cities, poetic accounts
of personal geographies through cities, and explorations of highly
orchestrated or surprisingly improvised events in designated areas in the
city are encouraged.

If interested in participating in a workshop on "writing the urban," in
addition to presenting a paper, please, indicate so.

Please, send your 1-page paper abstracts (including preliminary titles and
current contact information) and 1-paragraph recent bios as virus-free, Word
attachments to:

Blagovesta Momchedjikova
bmm202 at nyu.edu
by June 15th, 2005.