[URBANTH-L]three conference/workshop/symposium events

bvergara at sfsu.edu bvergara at sfsu.edu
Thu Mar 24 08:06:26 EST 2005

1. 74th Anglo-American Conference of Historians: States and Empires
Institute of Historical Research, University of London
July 6-8, 2005

2. African Diaspora Studies Knowledge Exchange Symposium
Florida International University
May 12-14, 2005

3. Religious Refugees in Europe, Asia and the Americas – 6th to 21st centuries
Centre for the Study of Human Settlement and Historical Change, National
University of Ireland
June 16-18, 2005

---------------------
1. 74th Anglo-American Conference of Historians: States and Empires
Location:	United Kingdom
Conference Begins:	2005-07-06

The 74th Anglo-American Conference is devoted to the current and controversial
theme of ‘States and Empires’. We have constructed the conference around seven
plenary lectures which either tackle the subject in the broadest possible way or
treat of vastly different examples of Empire. We have also included a discussion
with a distinguished servant of the British Empire and Commonwealth to provide a
personal insight into Empire in practice. The seminar sessions bring together
speakers who will deal with the theme in contexts which range from Asia,
America, Africa and Europe and who will examine across several different Empires
topics such as navies and naval policies, trading companies and religion.
Although many of the sessions deal with one specific Empire, the conference as a
whole provides many opportunities for comparative analysis. 6th-8th July 2005

Venue: Institute of Historical Research, University of London, Senate House,
Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HU, United Kingdom

	Richard Butler
Institute of Historical Research
University of London
Senate House, London WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
+ 44 (0)20 862 8779
Email: richard.butler at sas.ac.uk
Visit the website at http://www.history.ac.uk

----------------
2. AFRICAN DIASPORA STUDIES KNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE SYMPOSIUM

May 12th - 14th, 2005
Florida International University,
FIU/FMC Building,
Florida Memorial College

SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKERS

PANELS
PERFORMANCES
FILM PRESENTATIONS: U.S. launching of the film “A Bahia do Afoxe Filhos de Ghandy”
FLORIDA BLACK HISTORY TOUR
INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
Registration:
Conference Registration Fee: $50 per person/per day. Teachers registration fee: $25
Student’s registration fee: $15 (must show student ID.
Lunch $20

Send registration form and fee to:
FIU/African-New World Studies 3000 NE 151 Street, AC1-162, North Miami, FL
33181. Make checks payable to: Florida International University

Hotel Information:
Holiday Inn-North Miami
148 NW 167 th Street, North Miami, FL 33169
Single/Double rooms $79.95 per night.
Rooms are subject to availability and price increase.
Hotel contact:
Rose Morales (305) 949-1441.

Marco Polo Beach Resort a Ramada Plaza
19201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33160
Single/Double rooms $89.00 per night.
Hotel Contact:
Patrick Boulanger
305-932-2233 ext 1222
Fax 305-937-4139

For more information:
Call (305) 919-5521 or E-mail: africana at fiu.edu

Books of speakers and African Diaspora Art will be available for purchase at the
conference

	Carole Boyce Davies
Florida International University
African New World Studies
3000 NE 151 Street, AC1-162
North Miami, FL 33181
(305) 919-5380 phone
(305) 919-5267 fax

Email: cboyced at fiu.edu
Visit the website at http://www.africandiasporastudies.com

---------------------
3. Religious Refugees in Europe, Asia and the Americas – 6th to 21st centuries

Workshop, 16-18 June 2005

Centre for the Study of Human Settlement and Historical Change
National University of Ireland, Galway

Abstract
For centuries, differing religious and cultural identities have caused problems
within societies, in particular when - as e.g. in the early modern period -
states attempt to establish religious and cultural conformity. The migration of
dissenting religious groups – whether forced or voluntary - can be understood as
a means of escaping orthodoxy and of maintaining cultural diversity. In both
cases, migrants brought their cultural diversity into the countries of refuge.
These new destinations now had to succeed in what the homeland had failed: they
had to integrate these newly arriving diversities while simultaneously enabling
them to assimilate – if possible – to the normative systems of the hosting
societies.
The workshop’s aim is to analyse in a comparative perspective European, American
and Asian concepts of religious conformity and of religious diversity. Are there
“ideal” patterns – existing over time and space – to deal with religious
diversity? Under which circumstances does religious diversity lead to expulsion
or voluntary migration? Do “received” concepts as to immigration policy exist?
How do they change over time and space? How do religious minorities react to
expulsion or the pressure of conformity?
To answer these questions, the proposed papers will provide examples taking the
early medieval period, the early modern period and the 19th and 21st centuries.
It will bring together research carried out on groups expelled for their
non-conformity or migrating to other destinations to safeguard their religious
identity.
To ensure that the various papers will lend themselves to comparison a format
will be introduced. All papers will deal with the political and religious
situation of the country from which the refugees originally came, the political
and religious situation of the country of refuge, the emigration and immigration
policies being enforced and the perception of hosts and refugees and integration
problems and processes.

Provisional Programme

Thursday, 16th June

17.00
Welcome and Opening Remarks: Prof. Dr. Nicholas Canny, Academic Director, Centre
for the Study of Human Settlement and Historical Change (CSHSHC), National
University of Ireland (NUI), Galway

17.15-19.30
>From Diversity to Orthodoxy? Migration and Integration of Religious Refugees in
Medieval and Early Modern Europe: 6th –17th centuries

Chair: Dr. Susanne Lachenicht (NUI, Galway)

Eric Graff (NUI, Galway): Columbanus and Irish Monks in Diaspora (6th/7th
centuries).

Prof. Dr. Seymour Phillips (University College Dublin): Jews in 13th century
England.

Dr. Douglas Catterall (Cameron University, Oklahoma): Scots and Sephardic Jews
in the United Provinces (16th – 17th century).

Discussion

Friday, 17th June

10.00-13.00
“Modern” States and Religious Diversity in Europe (late 17th – early 20th
centuries).

Chair: Prof. Dr. Hermann Wellenreuther (University of Göttingen)

Dr. Sandra Maria Hynes (NUI, Maynooth): Dissenters in England, Scotland and
Ireland (1660-1685).

Dr. Susanne Lachenicht (NUI, Galway): Huguenots in Ireland, Britain and
Brandenburg-Prussia (1660-1750).

Coffee Break

Chair: Prof. Dr. Nicholas Canny

Dr. Colm O’Conaill (NUI, Galway): Politics, Religion and Family Identity. The
Exile and Return of the Dillon Family from the Williamite Conquest to the French
Revolution (1692-1789).

Dr. Róisin Healy (NUI, Galway): The German Empire and the Jesuits (1872-1917).

Discussion

13.00-15.00 Lunch

15.00-18.00
Migration and Integration of Religious Refugees in the Atlantic World (17th -
18th centuries).

Chair: Prof. Dr. Claudia Schnurmann (University of Hamburg)

Prof. Dr. Rosalind J. Beiler (University of Central Florida): Information
Networks and the Dynamics of Migration: Swiss Anabaptist Exiles and their Host
Communities (Palatinate, the Netherlands, and British Colonies, 1650-1730).

Prof. Dr. Bertrand van Ruymbeke (Université de Paris VIII): Huguenots in
North-America (17th-18th centuries).

Coffee break

Chair: Eric Graff

Prof. Dr. Hermann Wellenreuther (University of Göttingen): The Herrenhuther in
Europe and the British Colonies (1735-1776).

Dr. Christine Hucho (Mainz): The Schwenkfelder and the Herrenhuther Women in the
British Colonies.

Discussion

Saturday, 18th June

10.00-13.00
Christians, Jews and Muslims: Migration within and from South-East-Europe and
the Near East (17th -21st centuries).

Chair: Dr. William O’Reilly (NUI, Galway and Centre for History & Economics,
Cambridge)

Claus Gattermann (University of Göttingen): Confessional Changes in the County
of Baranya after 1686.

Prof. Dr. Anja Pistor-Hatam (University of Kiel): Shiite Migration from Iran to
the Ottoman Empire.

Coffee break

Dr. Kate Daniels (University of Cambridge): Religious Conflict and Migration to
North America: Arab Christians in the Late Ottoman Empire.

Dr. Makram Khoury-Machool (University of Cambridge): Religion, Ideology or
Conformity? Jewish Iraqi Migrants to Israel.

Discussion

12.00-13.30

Wrap-up Session and Closing Remarks

Prof. Dr. Nicholas Canny, Prof. Dr. Hermann Wellenreuther, Prof. Dr. Claudia
Schnurmann,
Dr. Susanne Lachenicht

We would like to thank the Fritz Thyssen Foundation, Cologne, Germany and the
Faculty of Arts, NUI Galway for funding this workshop.

	Dr. Susanne Lachenicht
Email: slachenicht at yahoo.com
Visit the website at http://www.nuigalway.ie/cshshc/Refugees%20programme%202.doc