[URBANTH-L]Response to Ellman: theory, practice/ pragmatics

Allen Feldman af31 at nyu.edu
Wed May 4 04:15:38 EDT 2005

As an anthropologist who has also engaged in “process evaluation,” in
addition to “outcomes evaluation,” “quality assurance- best practices
assessment,” “fourth generation”  evaluation and "program logic models."
I would suggest that all the prior terms and many of those found in
Maida's post below, despite their faux-self evident aura, and
institutionalization by funding streams and by expert knowledge systems
are entangled with metaphysical and theoretical constructions of social
reality, historicity, and just crude political ideology. They are as
densely layered as any concept advanced by Derrida or Foucault. And
their anchorage in empirical reality is equally questionable.

“Child Traumatic Stress,”
 (The checkered history of traumatic stress syndrome has already been
the subject of anthropological inquiry see Ian Hacking and  Alan Young)

“Substance Abuse”

A medicalized juridical concept applied to socio-cultural behaviors that
more often than not legitimates the criminalization of ethnic, racial
and economic minorities and that is crucial to the economic well being
of the American prison system.

“Terrorism and
Disaster Branch”
(A organ of government that that never acknowledges State terror unless
committed by a so-called “rogue or outlaw state or an axis of evil.”

“good process or formative evaluation”

( a concept that mainly analyses institutional practice within the
framework of  narrowly defined instrumental rationalities and mission
statements, that tends to bracket out multi-plex life-world realities
and phenomenological experiences.)

“mass casualty event”

( a new type of historical occurrence congruent with statist
intervention mandates, that excludes ethnocide and genocide, and first
world state generated political terror in  American governmental
lexicons- see 'collateral damage" "Shock and Awe" which are used to
identify unacknowledged "mass casualty events")

“bioethicist”

( a disciplinary specialization with deep metaphysical assumptions and
historical precedents in 19th century disciplinary discourses of the
body,social hygiene and public health; see Foucault and Agamben on the
relation between modern state sovereignty and the formation of bio-
political subjects.)

I do not make these points to disqualify these concepts, but to show how
utilitarian, and applied frameworks are deeply implicated in many
unexamined theoretical abstractions, presuppositions and untheorized
historical contexts.

And was not this observation below my original point?

“corporate governmental influences on the uses of anthropological
knowledge are key concerns emerging from this type of research, and
these are often not a part of the discourse heard in my
multidisciplinary study team, where I am the sole anthropologist.”

Lets not limit this to the uses of anthropological knowledge, at least
in our discipline we try to pose these questions as Beck and Maida are
doing.

Allen Feldman