[URBANTH-L]NEWS: the week Paris burned

Walter Nicholls wnicholl at csulb.edu
Tue Nov 8 00:59:25 EST 2005

Dear Readers,

Mustafa Dikec wrote an interesting article on riots as
social movements in France.

The references is: Mustafa Dikec(2004) 'Voices into
noises: Ideological determination of unarticulated justice
movements', Space & Polity, 8(2): 191-208.

Also, regarding OlatokunboAdeola'smessage: The idea that
the analysis of inequalities and disadvantaged places only
makes things worse is problematic. It is true that such
studies can contribute to legitimating existing
articulations of power but, they can also identify
important contradictions in existing power structures
which can be used advantageously by the powerless and
potential allies in the state.  While it is certainly
important to remain critical of our own positioning within
a power/knowledge matrix, this does not mean that we
should not study the underlying causes of injustices and
transfer our intellectual resources to progressive
political projects.

Also, the idea that these are localized resistances with
distinct impulses that cannot be sufficiently understood
seems to reflect essentialist thinking. These are
certainly localized instances of resistance arising from a
particular set of circumstances but these particularities
are nevertheless embedded in larger processes that can be
understood and acted on. People riot in Paris, Los
Angeles, London, etc. for many of the same reasons
(poverty, police repression, racism, etc.) Arguing that
this particular form of collective action is simply a
reflection of localized (irrational) passions that cannot
be explained by social scientists is off the mark.

Regards,

Walter Nicholls

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:45:58 -0500