[URBANTH-L]ASU Jobs: Justice & Social Inquiry

Torin Monahan torin.monahan at asu.edu
Wed Sep 14 05:28:09 EDT 2005

The School of Justice & Social Inquiry (SJSI) at Arizona State
University invites scholars to apply for two full-time, tenure-track
positions at the Assistant Professor level with employment to begin
August, 2006.  We are seeking scholars with specializations in
Economic Justice; Social Justice, Law and Policy; and Cultural
Transformations and Justice.

We are an interdisciplinary unit focused upon the study of justice
and injustice. Our concentrations include: globalization and
historical/future consequences; social and economic justice;
migration and social change; surveillance/incarceration; crime, law,
and justice; gender, ethnicity, and racialization; ethics and law
/policy; indigenous/restorative justice; and
technology/environment.  SJSI is part of the ASU College of Liberal
Arts and Sciences, which is undertaking exciting new initiatives to
study global changes, violence, new technologies, population change,
education, the environment and related social issues.  The College
houses a new Institute for Social Science Research, School of Global
Studies, a Consortium on Science Policy and Outcomes, a Center for
Religion and Conflict, and an Institute for Humanistic Research.  We
also participate in university-wide organizations such as the Lincoln
Center for Applied Ethics.

The requirements for our positions include a Ph.D. at the time of
appointment in a relevant social-science, interdisciplinary, or
humanities field.   Candidates must indicate a strong potential for
scholarly achievement and successful teaching.  A strong potential of
research funding is desired.

The School houses a Masters, Ph.D. program and has a joint JD/PhD
interdisciplinary program with the College of Law.  The graduate
program serves approximately 80 students; SJSI has approximately 1000
undergraduate majors.  Faculty backgrounds include, but are not
limited to, Anthropology, Criminology, Law, Political Science,
Psychology, Science and Technology, and Sociology.  For further
details, please see <http://www.asu.edu/clas/justice>www.asu.edu/clas/justice.

For initial consideration, please send a letter of application with
your current curriculum vitae and a sample of your research and a
letter of recommendation.  Three letters of recommendation will be
required of the final candidates.  Please send your application to:
Chairperson, Search Committee, School of Justice and Social Inquiry,
Arizona State University, P.O Box 870403, Tempe, AZ 85287-0403.

Deadline: October 14, 2005, if not filled, the 1st of each month
thereafter until search is filled.

A background check is required for employment. AA/EOE

Torin Monahan
Assistant Professor
Arizona State University
School of Justice & Social Inquiry