[URBANTH-L]Announcement of "Rhetorics of Place"

M Wolf-Meyer wolf0358 at umn.edu
Mon Sep 19 13:08:04 EDT 2005

(Please forgive the mass email, but we are trying to publicize our new
journal issue.  Please pass this on ...)

We are proud to announce the latest issue of Reconstruction: Studies in
Contemporary Culture (vol.5, no.3), "Rhetorics of Place" at
http://www.reconstruction.ws
ISSN: 1547- 4348.

This themed issue is edited by Michael Benton, G. Wesley Houp and Melissa
Purdue.

Included in this issue are:

Editorial:

Michael Benton, "Rhetorics of Place: The Importance of Public Spaces and
Public Spheres  http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/benton.shtml

Essays:

Joy Ackerman, "A Politics of Place: Reading the Signs at Walden Pond
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/ackerman.shtml

David Burley, Pam Jenkins, Joanne Darlington, Brian Azcona, "Loss,
Attachment, and Place: A Case Study of Grand Isle, Louisiana
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/burley.shtml

Patrick Howard, "Nurturing Sense of Place Through the Literature of the
Bioregion  http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/howard.shtml

Bruce Janz, "Whistler's Fog and the Aesthetics of Place
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/janz.shtml

Joy Kennedy, "The Edge of the World
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/kennedy.shtml

Michael Kula, "What Have Bagels Got to Do With Midwesternness?
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/kula.shtml

John Shelton Lawrence and Marty S. Knepper, "Discovering Your Cinematic
Cultural Identity http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/lawrence.shtml

Harry Olufunwa, "The Place of Race: Ethnicity, Location and 'Progress' in
the Fiction of Chinua Achebe and Ralph Ellison
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/olufunwa.shtml

Anthony M. Orum, "All the World's A Coffee Shop: Reflections on Place,
Community and Identity
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/orum.shtml

Lynda H. Schneekloth and Robert. G. Shibley, "Placemaking: A Democratic
Project http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/schneekloth.shtml

Review Essays:

Danny Mayer on Ethan Watter's Urban Tribes: A Generation Redefines
Friendship, Family and Commitment
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/mayer.shtml

Matthew Ortoleva on McComiskey and Ryan's City Comp: Identities, Spaces,
Practices
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/ortoleva.shtml

Rania Masri on Joel Weishaus' Forest Park: A Journal
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/masri.shtml

Christine Cusick on Joel Weishaus' Forest Park: A Journal
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/cusick.shtml

Matthew Wolf-Meyer on Cadava and Levy's Cities Without Citizens
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/wolfmeyer.shtml

Reviews:

Marilyn Yaquinto on Peter Bondanella's Hollywood Italians: Dagos, Palookas,
Romeos, Wise Guys, and Sopranos
http://www.reconstruction.ws/053/yaquinto.shtml

In line with our efforts to foster intellectual community, Reconstruction
also hosts a message board dedicated to interaction between authors and
readers, and between readers themselves, hoping to affect a more communal
approach to, and understanding of, academic journals and intellectual
thought and action.

Please take the time to participate in this experiment in community.
Additionally, submissions for our future issues are also being actively
solicited:   http://www.reconstruction.ws/info.htm

Please see editorial guidelines as published on the site for further
information regarding contributions to Reconstruction.

Reconstruction is a peer-reviewed journal, and indexed in the MLA
International Bibliography.

We are also currently seeking reviewers: If interested, a short email
listing qualifications and interests should be mailed to Michael Benton at:
mdbento at gmail.com

If you would like to receive our newsletter, with important updates, new
reviews, and notifications about calls for papers and forthcoming issues,
please join our community list at:

Thank you in advance for your time and your participation.

Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture
http://www.reconstruction.ws

Michael Benton
Humanities Department
Bluegrass Community and Technical College
Oswald Building #337A

Enter Dialogic:
http://dialogic.blogspot.com
Bluegrass Film Society
http://bluegrassfilmsociety.blogspot.com
Reconstruction
http://www.reconstruction.ws

"There's never been a true war that wasn't fought between two sets of
people who were certain they were in the right. The really dangerous
people believe that they are doing whatever they are doing solely and
only because it is without question the right thing to do. And that is
what makes them dangerous."

--Wednesday, in Neil Gaman's novel "American Gods" (2001:233)