[URBANTH-L]ANN: Energizing Anthropology for the Future, Southwestern Anthropological Association Conference

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:57:05 EDT 2006

77th Annual Conference of the
Southwestern Anthropological Association
Energizing Anthropology for the Future

April 27-30, 2006
(Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
Weston Hotel, Pasadena, CA

Distinguished Speaker Dinner
Yoland Moses will be our speaker and her talk will be:
"Anthropology and the Public Good"

The Southwestern Anthropology Association invites professionals, academics
and students to join us for the 77th Annual SWAA Meetings at the Westin
Hotel in Pasadena, California from April 27-30, 2006! We have a wonderful
program planned, including some exciting highlights! You can read about our
Distinguished Speaker, Dr. Yolanda Moses, and see the menu for the dinner
where she will speak on page 20 of the newsletter. This year we have a
Plenary Panel that includes three prominent non-anthropologists who are
working on innovative culture-change projects in the fields of health and
social services: Mauricio Bailon Gonzalez, Director General of Health and
Director General of International Relations for Mexico, Laura Porter,
Director of the Washington State Family Policy Council, and John Lyons,
founder of Adi2ude: Strategic Marketing and Media will be sharing their real
world projects with us, and we will be talking about how anthropological
skills and knowledge can contribute to culture change management at both
local and international levels. In addition, we have scheduled 23 great
paper, poster and panel sessions full of intellectual stimulation from all
four sub-disciplines of anthropology.

On Thursday afternoon from 3-5pm, The Center for Teaching and Learning at
the University of La Verne is offering a terrific workshop: Cutting Edge
Technology for Research and Teaching. Come and try out a pen that remembers
what you write and downloads it into your computer for you as text,
experience software that makes PowerPoint presentations interactive, and
watch a demonstration of the portable classroom in a suitcase.

All registered participants are invited to a reception on Friday night, with
lots of great food, conversation and a cash bar. There are also four special
events to choose from. On Thursday afternoon, join a group of
anthropologists for a tour of Little Saigon led by Dr Son Kim Vo,
Coordinator of the Intercultural Center at Cal State Fullerton. On Thursday
night, experience the Los Angeles area jazz scene with Dr. Reed Gratz, jazz
musician and Professor of Music at University of La Verne. Sunday morning
you can discover things you never knew about downtown Los Angeles when you
walk through the city with Dr. Ann Wichman, Professor Emerita at University
of La Verne. Or alternatively, join U.S. Forestry service volunteer
naturalist, Jane Strong as she leads a Sunday morning walk through the hills
behind Pasadena to share her knowledge about native plants and their
indigenous uses.

Preregistration forms for the conference, including the dinner and special
events, are available online at
http://www2.sjsu.edu/depts/anthropology/swaa. The deadline for
pre-registration is April 15. After that date, registration can be done at
the conference. Dinner reservations must be made and paid in advance by
Monday, April 24. Hotel reservations can be made at the conference rate
until April 7th. Make it easy on yourself! Preregister and reserve your room
right now to insure that you get in on all the great experiences that will
make up the 77th Annual Southwestern Anthropology Association Meetings.