[URBANTH-L]NEWS: Boston Carolers Sing About Gentrification

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Mon Dec 18 14:09:24 EST 2006

Carolers: Gentrification means many not merry

By Laura Crimaldi
Boston Herald

Chinatown residents are hoping a few fa-la-las, and maybe a ho, ho, ho, will
help residents battle the gentrification blues.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Chinese Progressive Association (CPA) and the Chinatown Resident
Association will go caroling throughout Chinatown next week to raise
awareness about the influx of high-rises, hotels and ritzy restaurants
squeezing residents of the neighborhood.

    "This is the first time we're doing this," said Amy Leung, a CPA
activist, who is helping organize the caroling stops at six apartment
buildings. "The idea is to get the information out in a fun way."

    CPA Executive Director Lydia Lowe has penned pointed lyrics to the tune
of Christmas classics like "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" to describe what
gentrification is doing to Chinatown.

    The lyrics of "Won't Be Living Long In Chinatown," which is sung to the
tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland," include "We always said that what
we need is housing, / But penthouse condos isn't what we meant. / Who knew
that C-town could be like the South End / This strip where migrant workers
pitched their tents,"

    Four carolers practiced the songs, which will be sung in English and
Chinese, at the CPA office yesterday. Carolers plan to bring maps of
Chinatown with their sheet music to show tenants how much development is
going on in their neighborhood.

These are the lyrics to one of the "carols" that Chinatown neighborhood
groups will sing to battle gentrification:
(To the tune of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas')

The MP3, "Won't Be Living Long in Chinatown"
http://www.bostonherald.com/audio/20061213chinatown/song1.mp3
The MP3, "We Wish That We Get to Stay Here"
http://www.bostonherald.com/audio/20061213chinatown/song2.mp3

    Refrain:

    We wish that we get to stay here,
    We hope that we get to stay here,