[URBANTH-L]Call For Papers: AAA Meetings in San Jose

Beth Baker Cristales bcristales at msn.com
Thu Feb 16 18:55:42 EST 2006

 I am organizing a panel for the 2006 American Anthropological Association Meetings, to be held in San Jose, California November 15-19. The skeletal abstract for the panel is pasted below. My own paper would be about the ways Mexican and Salvadoran politicians are talking about migration from those countries to the U.S. If you are interested in participating in this panel, please send me your paper abstract, along with any suggestions for the panel abstract, as soon as possible. The deadline for submission of the panel proposal is March 31st.

Public understandings of international migration are shaped by multiple discourses emanating from politicians, policy makers, activists, migrants, and scholars. These discourses in turn shape public policy and academic scholarship. This panel explores the complex and often contradictory ways that these public discourses are enunciated and deployed by different actors around the world.

Beth Baker-Cristales
Assistant Professor
bcristales at msn.com<mailto:bcristales at msn.com>
bbakerc at calstatela.edu<mailto:bbakerc at calstatela.edu>