[URBANTH-L]the National Association of Student Anthropologists

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Mon Feb 20 19:28:01 EST 2006

Question: What is the American Anthropological Association and how can
students get involved?

Answer: Join the National Association of Student Anthropologists

(http://www.aaanet.org/nasa/index.htm)

The National Association of Student Anthropologists (NASA), the student
section of the American Anthropological Association, was founded in 1985 to
address graduate and undergraduate student concerns and to promote the
interests and involvement of students as anthropologists-in-training.

NASA provides a network of students across the subfields of anthropology and
directly addresses issues that are of interest to both undergraduate and
graduate students, including finding jobs, attending graduate school,
fieldwork programs, networking, and much more!

NASA has space on the program of the AAA annual meetings, so as a member you
can submit papers and sessions to NASA for review. NASA is a great way to
get involved in a national organization and network for your professional
development.

Join the NASA Email List
TO SUBSCRIBE:

Subscribing is easy! Send a blank email from the account you want to receive
messages to:
nasa-list-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
NASA FAQ
Q: How can I become active in NASA?

There are several ways to get involved with NASA:

1) Write an article and submit it to, our editor, we are always looking for
contributions for the AAA Newsletter and NASA Bulletin. It can be about your
research, an interesting anthropological experience, advice for other
students, or any other topic you feel is relevant

2) Submit a session or a paper for the annual meetings through NASA.
3) Join a committee. We need members for the nominations and awards
committees.
4) Help keep our web site up-to date, fill us in on information you think we
should include!
(http://www.aaanet.org/nasa/officerbios.htm)

Q: I want to apply to graduate school. What is the best anthropology
graduate program?
There is no single best anthropology program. Many schools are rated highly,
but the real question is, what is the best program for you. What are your
interests? Which school has professors who are doing work that you find
interesting? Are you looking for an MA or a Ph.D., academic or applied work?
You can find out more about individual departments by looking in the AAA
Guide. Most departments now have websites which tell you about their
programs, the faculty, and courses offered. Don¹t be afraid to call or email
people to ask more about their school. Often students who are already
enrolled in the program you are looking at can be a great source of
information. Ask the department office to put you in contact with some
students. Also, check out the AAA Resources for Students in Anthropology
page (http://www.aaanet.org/students.htm)

Q: What kind of job can I get with an anthropology degree?

There are lots of jobs available to anthropology graduates with BAs, MAs,
and Ph.D.s. With an anthropology degree you will have a strong liberal arts
and social science background that you can apply to dozens of jobs. Many
people choose to pursue an academic career, looking for teaching and
research positions in colleges and universities. Others find positions in
museums. More and more anthropologists are heading to applied jobs: contract
archaeology, forensic anthropology, and other jobs outside the traditional
mainstream anthropology tracks. A recent article in USA Today cited the need
for anthropologists in the corporate world! For more information, check out
the AAA Resources for Students in Anthropology page.

Q: I know it is important that I meet professional anthropologists, but I
don't know how.

Networking is an important part of getting a job in any field, including
anthropology. Getting to know people involves being a bit aggressive, which
is difficult for many students. Don't be shy! Attend national or regional
meetings with professionals, and introduce yourself. Maybe you heard a talk
that was interesting, or saw someone whose books and papers you have
enjoyed. Maybe it is a professor from a school you are interested in. Most
professionals are pleased to meet students and answer questions. Give papers
yourself, it is an excellent way for others in your area to learn about you
and your work. If you can't make it to meetings, write letters or email
people whose work you admire or who you would like to work with.

Q: How to I find out about field schools?

Most anthropology field schools are archaeological expeditions, though there
are a few ethnographic and even physical anthropology field schools. Most
schools advertise their programs in anthropology departments, so check your
department office. The Archaeological Institute of America
(http://www.archaeological.org/) publishes a Bulletin every year listing
many field schools as well. And of course, you can go on-line:
The National Park Service (http://www.nps.gov/) has an on-line comprehensive
list of archaeological and ethnological field work opportunities.

Archaeology on the Net (http://www.serve.com/archaeology/) lists
archaeological fieldwork opportunities all over the world along with
participation details.