[URBANTH-L]urban anthro and social networks

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 25 10:45:02 EST 2006

My thanks to those folks who responded to my question about who did
West African research by drawing concentric circles in the sand, and using
dolls to place network members in relation to Ego/respondent.

Unfortunately, no one came up with the answer directly, altho there are
some possible leads.

Several people told me that they knew of network analysis diagrams.

That's not news to me (altho I always like to know about compatriots), as
social network analysts such as myself have been using such diagrams for
many decades. There are software packages for such purposes, such as
UCINet and NetDraw. (Please do not ask me for advice on using them: see
below).

What I am remain interested in, is the Data Gathering Method.

It did struck me, that despite social network analysis' partial origins in
urban anthro, there has been somewhat of a disconnect between urban anthro
and social network analysis.

Those interested in bridging should start with www.insna.org, and consider
attending the Sunbelt Social Network Conference, Vancouver, late April. (I
give a Networks for Newbies course there; the UCINet course is also
valuable.)

Cheers,  Barry