[URBANTH-L]reparations session at 2006 AAA

Barbara Rose Johnston bjohnston at igc.org
Mon Jan 23 17:38:37 EST 2006

Dear SUNTA members,

I am writing to see if there is any interest in participating in a
reparations session being organized by the Committee for Human
Rights.    I paste the session announcement below. Please contact me
if you have any questions, etc...

yours truly,

Barbara

Barbara Rose Johnston
Senior Research Fellow
Center for Political Ecology
PO Box 8467 Santa Cruz, CA 95061
831-335-1769 h/o
bjohnston at igc.org
www.centerforpoliticalecology.org

Call for papers for a panel on Reparations that will be open to the
public at AAA 2006 meetings in San Jose, California.
Reparation is a concept that evolved as a means for nations to
acknowledge serious violations of the laws of war and make amends.
Today the term is used to secure remedy for an array of violations
that occur under the guise of nationalism, militarism, and economic
development  and include genocide, torture, slavery, and other crimes
against humanity.   As acknowledged by the United Nations in adopting
the Guidelines on Reparation and the Right to Remedy, reparation
involves a variety of remedial actions that include restitution,
compensation, rehabilitation, satisfaction, and guarantees of
non-repetition. The proposed panel considers the anthropological
contribution to the concept and implementation of reparation.
Specifically we seek papers that explore the strategies, approaches,
and efforts to facilitate the identification and implementation of
meaningful remedy and clearly articulate our profession's critical
contributions in efforts to secure meaningful redress. We are
especially encouraging papers that address (1) reparations and the
current array of abuses incurred by US military actions in the middle
east; (2) efforts to secure remedy for historical cases of genocide,
slavery, and other crimes against humanity, including forensic
analysis, expert witness reports, and other evidentiary-based
contributions; (3) essays that explore the sociocultural meaning and
political impact of truth commissions and other mechanisms that
attempt reconciliation with abusive past; and, (4) contributions that
critically examine the human rights context and ethical concerns
associated with the anthropology/reparations intersect, including
risks to human rights victims and defenders.

Send paper proposals ASAP to Susan Slyomovics <ssly at mit.edu> or
Barbara Rose Johnston <bjohnston at igc.org>.