[URBANTH-L]Invitation to McGill University Conference on Social Justice

Samuel Veissiere samuel.veissiere at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 8 12:15:54 EST 2006

Dear Friends,  The McGill University Education Graduate Students
Society (EGSS) invites you to join us for our 5th Annual
Multidisciplinary Conference from March 17-18, 2006.  This year we host
scholars, artists, activists, educators, and learners from all over the
world and from all walks of life to come together to address the theme:
?Engaging Social Justice: Opening Transformative Dialogues/ Engager la
Justice Sociale: Dialogues et Changements?.  The conference features
two days of presentations and workshops on topics such as community
art/environmental education, critical development studies, peace
studies, gender/queer studies, critical media literacy, diaspora
studies, and more.  The keynote address:  'Deep Democracy: Social
Justice in the "Web of Life"' will be given by Dr. Edmund O?Sullivan,
Professor Emeritus from the University of Toronto.  He is actively
involved with the Transformative Learning Centre at OISE and his most
recent books, apart from "Transformative Learning: Educational Vision
for 21st Century" include "Expanding the Boundaries of Transformative
Learning" (edited with Mary Anne O'Connor and Hamish Morrell, 2002) and
"Learning toward Ecological Consciousness" (edited with Marilyn Taylor,
2004).

The welcome and plenary address, "The End of Social Justice:
Privitatization, Corporatization, and Deprofessionalization" will be
given by by Dr. Joe Kincheloe, our Canada Research Chair. Joe L.
Kincheloe is professor of urban education at the CUNY Graduate Center
and Brooklyn College. He is the author of more than 30 books and
hundreds of articles. His most recent works include "Critical Pedagogy:
A Primer", and "The Sign of the Burger: McDonald's and the Culture of
Power". Kincheloe and Shirley Steinberg, editors of "Kinderculture: The
Corporate Construction of Childhood" have recently finished "19 Urban
Questions: Teaching in the City". Dr. Shirley Steinberg will also be
participating in the conference
  Registration information is available online and at the conference
(3700 McTavish).  A schedule is attached for your review.  Please see
our website for additional information:
http://www.education.mcgill.ca/egss/conference/2006/.  We hope to see
you.  Change in the exchange! Rebecca Houwer, Conference coordinator