[URBANTH-L] AAA CFP: The Global Child: Bridging Developmental and Migration Literatures

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:20:51 EST 2006

From: Heather Rae-Espinoza <heather_rae1 at hotmail.com>

I am writing to seek involvement for a panel at the upcoming AAA in
November.  I have pasted the panel abstract below.  We are seeking
individuals who have research that addresses both migration and human
development.  The main focus of the panel addresses the changing ideologies
of the family.
I am also seeking a second discussant.  I have a few options, but have
decided that the panel would best be served in the process of originating
new ideas and approaches if we found a migration scholar who does not work
with development.  The reason for purposely seeking someone who does not
conduct the same work as others on the panel is because then the individual
would be able to offer ideas/constructive criticism as to how our papers fit
into an overall literature of migration versus just the segment of migration
literature that addresses families.

While there has been some outstanding work which blends developmental and
migration literature, we hope that this panel will serve to address the
psychological after-effects of migration on societal value systems.
Developmental literature has tended to focus on static societies and
migration literature has tended to address the descriptive context of the
individual or macrosocial forces, rather than internal psychological
processes.  By focusing on the changing ideology of the family with a
discussant from the developmental literature and migration literature, we
hope to establish a union with the research that approaches migration and
development in this manner.  This will serve to ameliorate our feeling that
we are straddling two disciplines.

Once the panel is completed (we would like one more paper and a discussant
at the least), we will be seeking invitation from both SUNTA and the Society
for Psychological Anthropology.

I appreciate either your involvement or suggestions of individuals who may
have volunteered papers that could be incorporated.  Thank you.

The Global Child: Bridging Developmental and Migration Literatures
Organizer: Heather Rae-Espinoza (University of California, San Diego)
Session Abstract

This session bridges the recent research on migration and the longstanding
research on human development through addressing the conceptions of the
family in contexts of migration to benefit both disciplines.  Migration
research often describes causality without focusing on the after-effects on
society, whereas developmental research often analyzes the effects of
childcare behaviors without focusing on the diverse, dynamic sets of
influences children experience.  We hope to incorporate the research on
human movements and on human development to address the after-effects of
migration on the ideology of the family.

A trend in the increasing attention to transnational communities is to focus
primarily on the push and pull factors that lead to migration and the
description of the situational characteristics.  This type of migration
research helps us to understand the factors that affect modern societies
undergoing tumultuous change in demography, economy, and socio-political
structure with globalization.  However, research often overlooks how the
changing relationships and values have psychological ramifications on those
who are involved in the migration journey.  The relation of the émigrés'
strategies for their journeys to others' cultural values in the
collective-at an intimate and public level-merits analysis.  Different
actors within the migration scenes may blindly accept, partially share, or
intensely contest all or part of the migrants' cultural values.  Such
censure or confirmation from home affects the migrant in the diaspora as
well.  The changing cultural values along with the changing demography has
led to differences in childcare, which can lead to differences in children's
personality, cognitive, and gender development.

The papers on this panel bring together these two disciplines which are
normally treated separately.  Each paper looks at the causal factors of
migration and addresses how migration alters the conceptions of children's
needs, capabilities, and natural inclinations.  Rivas's work addresses the
manner in which the public media, which is influenced by and influences the
intimate sphere, has participated in reconstituting the family
post-emigration.  Her positive images of émigrés in the media contrast
drastically with Rae-Espinoza's paper.  Children learn to psychologically
and socially adapt to the contrasting values of their émigré parents through
culturally constituted and idiosyncratic defense mechanisms.  Horton's paper
completes the picture of the alteration of family roles from the opposite
perspective.  While Rae-Espinoza's paper focuses on children's methods for
coping with parental emigration, Horton focuses on U.S. migrant mother's
methods for coping with leaving their children behind.  The women express
distress in an idiom of cultural-bound syndromes.

Two discussants will comment on the papers' combination of developmental and
migration literature.  Lancy's work, including his ethnography Playing on
the Mother-Ground in the Culture and Human Development Series, qualifies him
to critique the papers' attempts to utilize perspectives from developmental
literature.  xxx will provide critique from the migration literature
perspective based on xxx.

In addition to work from the migration and developmental literature with a
psychological perspective, this panel also offers research based on textual
and ethnographic analysis, attention to broad cultural phenomenon and
individual psychological processes, and US and foreign-based research with
established anthropologists and developing graduate students.  This variety
will provide the opportunity for innovative challenges and insights to
further this important research on the changing, complex worlds of the
"Global Child."

Heather Rae-Espinoza
Ph.D. Candidate
U.C.S.D. Anthropology Department

Get MSN Messenger with FREE Video Conversation - the next best thing to
being there!