[URBANTH-L]AAA CFP: Transparency and the Global Market

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Mon Mar 20 14:20:59 EST 2006

From: Christina Garsten <christina.garsten at score.su.se>
If you have not yet submitted your individual abstract to the AAA meetings
in San José, please consider the following:

We would like to organize a panel for the 2006 American Anthropological
Association Annual Meetings.

The panel is tentatively entitled:

Transparency and the global market: unveiling visions, challenges,
contestations

Transparency is a concept that has gained increasing currency and favor as
an organizing principle and administrative goal in recent years. We note
calls for greater transparency directed towards states, markets, and
corporations; in civil service, in local and national political processes,
and in regard to large agglomerating institutions such as the European Union
and World Trade Organization. In a wide variety of situations the idea of
transparency is held up as a panacea for the ills that a concentration of
power can imply; a way in which citizens can attain a level of justice and
control vis-à-vis institutions that affect their lives. We observe
transparency not only in accounting and auditing, but also more widely in
our changing material world; in architecture, design, and fashion. We
observe it in organizational policy, and not least in relation to
discussions of democracy. Yet few attempts have been made to examine the
actual content and playing-out of transparency, such as, for example, the
complex negotiations through which it is determined what shall be displayed
and what shall remain hidden, how power and control enter into the practices
of transparency, and the processes through which transparency is (or is not)
achieved. How is the concept interpreted, emulated, practiced, inverted,
used to achieve particular ends?

This panel explores the ideas and practices of transparency in different
contexts, with the hope of opening up a discussion of the strengths,
ambiguities, limitations, and many facets of the term. We aim to shed light
on the powerful global discourse and practices around the concept of
transparency by opening up the concept for illumination from a broader
perspective. In this, we hope to contribute to an understanding of the wider
organizational, cultural and ideational context in which transparency is
used and put to work. It will allow us to assess to what extent and in what
respects the global discourse on transparency is actually transforming
actual social practices and social relations and ways of thinking about
these.

We are very short of time, so if you are interested in these themes and a
possible AAA panel please contact us by Friday March 24, at the latest.

All the best,

Christina Garsten and Monica Lindh de Montoya

Christina Garsten
Senior lecturer, Chair of Department
Department of Social Anthropology
and
Research Director
Stockholm Center for Organizational Research
Stockholm University
SE 106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
Tel. +46 (0)8 16 20 00, fax +46 (0)8 15 88 94

monica.montoya at socant.su.se