[URBANTH-L]IRB vows and woes

Deborah Pellow dpellow at maxwell.syr.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:00:28 EDT 2007

This is a problem I, my colleagues and our students all run into as
well. At Syracuse U, there are no exceptions to filing an IRB
application. Anyone working with a human population anywhere in the
world is required to file. All of us have gone through multiple drafts,
when the IRB office has been dissatisfied with the kinds of answers
we've given -- they're not full enough, they don't cover all points, and
so on. I was on the doctoral committee of an international student doing
field research in his home country, who went to the field before
approval came through and whose application was in fact not approved
until he was returning from the field. The problem here is the same
posed on the listserve -- those sitting on the IRB often don't have a
clue about anthropological fieldwork. Particularly aggravating to me is
the insistence on a consent letter, primarily because in most of my
field research I have dealt with non-literate populations and the letter
makes no sense. (Although it is also the case that when I, and I assume
any of my colleagues of students, introduce myself, I do tell the
interviewee what my project is about. This, it seems to me, is the
spirit of the process.)Call it cynical, call it pragmatic: I do the
letter, just as all of us in anthropology do the application, for the
sake of the insitutional vetting process and because we are required to
do so.

Deborah Pellow
Professor of Anthropology
The Maxwell School