[URBANTH-L]IRB

quetzil castaneda quetzil at osea-cite.org
Mon Apr 2 19:55:19 EDT 2007

At 12:01 PM 4/2/2007, you wrote:
>  Yet, I am struck that
>students in the humanities (and, to be honest, I have never asked faculty
>about their own reviews) can adopt "cultural studies" projects involving
>interviews and observation in sometimes problematic situations with no
>review whatsoever.

HAH!  GREAT Point!
however much I would like to say yes, lets make
them suffer this process as well, I would rather
focus my own concerns on a different aspect of
the IRB.  What has also always disturbed me is
the absolute authority over the "life or death"
of students, their research projects and their
ability to succeed in their projects.

I am familiar with one masters student who had
designed an ethnographic research project
involving interviewing homosexuals and fieldwork
in bar/club settings for observation of
sexuality/dating (I forget what else, it was 10
years ago).  The homophobic reactionary chairMAN
(a sociologist) of the IRB that year determined
that it would be far to "dangerous" to conduct
interviews with such persons in such locations
and strictly forbid this as part of the
research.  The risks apparently to the subjects
and to the researcher (who was also a gay man)
were too huge .... The chairman of the
anthropology dept., who also happened to be gay
-- who lived in this "dangerous" part of town and
even ran a consulting/social work enterprise in
the neighborhood -- was totally ineffective in
reversing this arbitrary, absurd, discriminatory,
and ultimately violent decision.  finally the
student was unable to conduct his research as
conceived. He was only allowed to do research in
a totally mangled and virtually non-ethnographic
manner on issues that had nothing to do with what
he was interested in or that had any
relevance.  The project was reduced to a
sociological survey (which happened to fit the
intellectual-theoretical paradigm of this quantifying sociologist).   .

If this man had not been on the board, this
problem would not have existed. Certainly, this
is not the first time that any one has
encountered zealots on the IRB --- that is
persons who dispense their task with iron-clad
compliance to rules without any recognition
whatsover of special situations/contexts. Further
such persons typically combine this with an
irresolute discrimination against particular
projects (precisely because of their "special"
circumstances) that manifests in excessive and
debilitating scrutiny, demands for rewrites of
protocols, and even the re-designing of
research.   My only surprise in the case that I
mention is that this sociologist has not since
conducted a research project based on the
student's initial proposal.  (Indeed, what
mechanisms are there to prevent THAT?!)

the arbitrary and total control of any given IRB
committee in any given year is way out of
control.  Faculty have the ability to protest and
put pressure on a committee by calling in favors
here and there or figure out other ways to fill
out the forms to the letter while conducting
research in a completely ETHICAL manner (even if
at variance to IRB technicalities).  sTudents on
the other hand can be viciously destroyed, their
projects mutilated by threats that the
institution will with hold stipends, tuition waivers, degrees, grades, etc..

What kinds of administrative oversight and
management exist -- or, can be created -- to
counter balance this capriciousness of
IRBs?   This is a slightly different but related
point made about the need to educate one's own
institutional boards.  Certainly that is
necessary, yet the lessons learned may only have
a shelf life based on the tenure of specific
committee members.  it seems that a system needs
to be created that can protect students from
having their projects dismantled -- or worse, stolen!

Quetzil

>Gary McDonogh
>Professor/Chair
>Program in Growth and Structure of Cities
>Bryn Mawr College

Quetzil E. Castañeda, Ph.D.
Founding Director, OSEA
Visiting Professor, Spring 2006-Spring 2007
Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Indiana University

quetzil at osea-cite.org
812.327.5845  cell
812.669.1369 office
Skype account name: quetzil