[URBANTH-L]IRB--Plattner article

Nina Glick Schiller ngs at cisunix.unh.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:14:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

A broader issue of the IRB debate is the involvement of
anthropologists in CIA research. Our students are being recruited for
summer internships as a gateway into the world of secret research.
Every ethical issue of concern that is raised by IRBs in the name of
federal regulations is violated by secret research . Yet the AAA
newsletter announces positions in the CIA and our ethnic code
apparently no longer talks about our first responsibility to the
people with whom we work. Why do universities allow our students and
graduates to be recruited for these positions? Should not this be a
concern of our IRB's rather than the exact wording of a questionnaire?

Warm regards,

Nina Glick Schiller